icon

adding a siren to factory alarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fosgate24360 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
oh ok, then where would i hook up the led scanner at?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Power the scanner with constant power.  Connect the scanner ground wire to the Normally Open contact of the switch.  Ground the common connection of the switch.
i am an idiot 
fosgate24360 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
doesnt sound to hard. can it be just one door or all 4? im assuming just one will do it.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 15, 2011 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
1 will do. Whenever the doors are locked the Scanner will flash. You may want to use a relay to break the power connection when the ignition is on. If not it will illuminate while driving if you have the doors locked.
Your Scanner probably has 3 connections, power ground and the ground trigger wire. Use a relay 30 to the trigger wire of the scanner. 87A to the wire of the switch. 85 to ground. 86 to Ignition. when the key is on, it will remove ground from the trigger wire.
fosgate24360 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2011 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
actually the scanner is from plasmaglow(night rider hood scoop type). it only has a positive and a ground wire(just 2 wires). also, that link with the picture you posted, thats all i will need is the 2 magnetic pieces....mount the one side onto the mechanism and the other will be stationary(mounted to car)?
fosgate24360 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2011 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
oh yea, and the truck has auto lock doors once you hit 10-15 mph so id definately want a relay in there somehow so it doesnt flash while driving like you stated.....
fosgate24360 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
well i tried putting in the relay for the siren mod. all it does now is blow the horn constantly. i tried reversing the connections going to the horn wire on both. it doesnt constantly blow that way but the siren will not make any sound at all?
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

Did you use the wire that went to the horn? (The horn under the hood, not the horn switch at the steering wheel)  let me check my instructions, there should be nothing that would make the horn honk constantly, unless this only happens when the key is on and you connected the ignition wire to 30 instead of 86.

Instructions look fine.  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~127901~PN~0~TPN~1#634220

fosgate24360 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2011 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

i cut the dark GREEN/ violet stripe(horn) wire at steering column. hooked 87 to horn wire(that runs out to a harness), hooked 30 to horn wire(that runs into steering wheel), 86 switched power(ignition-pink/gray), 85 ground, 87A to siren positive lead.....this made the horn honk constantly. so i then reversed the 87 and 30 pins(horn wires) and it didnt honk steadily. when ign was off it didnt honk and when on it would honk. however, when i hit the lock on remote all i get is horn honk and no siren at all.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic