icon

viper ignition sense, where does it go?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
unbwogable21 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Viper 5701 (remote start, keyless entry, alarm) that was professionally installed, on a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT, and the company did a bang up job and won't fix it. Long story short, I'm stuck trying to repair the issues myself.
I discovered that they had the ignition sense wire on the remote start connected to "ignition" in the steering column. When I disconnect this wire, the remote start functions normally. But when I connect this wire, it will not stop cranking the starter. I believe this is also the wire that signals the system when the ignition is on or off, because my alarm doesn't 'reset' when I start the ignition, (ie, it still flashes the LED showing that the alarm was triggered). Also, I've set the system to unlock the doors when the key is turned off, and it doesn't.
Long story short, do I need to be working on this ignition sense wire, or is there some other wire I need to look at to get it fixed?
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2011 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
what color is the wire on the 5701 you're referring to?
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2011 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

Tach wire will be off of the 5 pin Remote Start Input connector,  Violet/White. It should go to the Tan/ Yellow at the PCM. If you have a Digital MultiMeter Test the Tan / YELLOW for AC voltage while the engine is running. 2~5 volts, rising and falling with engine RPMs

Go the downloads section of this site for the install and owners manual of the Viper 5701.

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.asp

When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
unbwogable21 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2011 at 6:21 AM / IP Logged  
The color is pink with a white stripe. It's one of the heavy gauge wires on the h3 wire harness.
smokeman1, I appreciate the link, I did already download and print those. the12volt is about the only place that actually had the install available. I also double checked the wiring, and the tach wire is connected. I don't know if the system can read that as the ignition on, and reset the system.
Also, I tried to program another remote, and it requires the key to be turned on. I don't get any response when trying to enter programming mode, and that means the system doesn't know the key is in the 'run' position.
I assume this is related to the ignition sense wire.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2011 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  

This is how the H3 harness should be wired using the DEI info :

H3/1 PINK (+) IGNITION 1                                                   GREEN/ Purple

H3/2 RED / WHITE (+) FUSED (30A)                                   Yellow
H3/3 ORANGE (+) ACCESSORY OUTPUT                      Gray / YELLOW
H3/4 VIOLET (+) STARTER OUTPUT (CAR SIDE)          RED / Light Blue - cut
H3/5 GREEN (+) STARTER INPUT (KEY SIDE)              RED / Light Blue - cut
H3/6 RED (+) FUSED (30A)                                                Yellow
H3/7 PINK/WHITE (+) IGNITION 2                                      BLACK/ Green   **Viper programmed for Accessory2
H3/8 PINK/BLACK (+) FLEX RELAY 87A                           Not Used
H3/9 RED / BLACK (+) FUSED (30A)                                  Yellow
H3/10 NC (no connection)                                                   Not Used

Both Bulldog and Audiovox list the Explorers' BLACK/ Green ignition wire as Ignition2.

Also note that there are two GREEN/ Purple Ignition1 wires, use either one as they are both common.  Same

applies to the Gray / YELLOW Accessory1 wire.

The Viper uses H3/1 Pink for Ignition sense.

Soldering is fun!
smokeman1 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2011 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
Did you put the remote into the pairing mode? 
unbwogable21 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2011 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

This is how the H3 harness should be wired using the DEI info :

H3/1 PINK (+) IGNITION 1                    GREEN/ Purple

H3/2 RED / WHITE (+) FUSED (30A)                    Yellow
H3/3 ORANGE (+) ACCESSORY OUTPUT                      Gray / YELLOW
H3/4 VIOLET (+) STARTER OUTPUT (CAR SIDE)          RED / Light Blue - cut
H3/5 GREEN (+) STARTER INPUT (KEY SIDE)              RED / Light Blue - cut
H3/6 RED (+) FUSED (30A)                  Yellow
H3/7 PINK/WHITE (+) IGNITION 2        BLACK/ Green   **Viper programmed for Accessory2
H3/8 PINK/BLACK (+) FLEX RELAY 87A            Not Used
H3/9 RED / BLACK (+) FUSED (30A)   Yellow
H3/10 NC (no connection)      Not Used

Both Bulldog and Audiovox list the Explorers' BLACK/ Green ignition wire as Ignition2.

Also note that there are two GREEN/ Purple Ignition1 wires, use either one as they are both common.  Same

applies to the Gray / YELLOW Accessory1 wire.

The Viper uses H3/1 Pink for Ignition sense.

So I double checked all the connections, and the pink/white I disconnected was connected to the right place.
The solid pink (H3/1) was connected correctly, also. I still have the same issue.
I also upgraded to a 5901 and rewired all the connections in an attempt to solve this issue. Same problem.
I firmly believe the system doesn't recognize that the ignition is in the 'on' or 'run' position. What else should I check?
unbwogable21 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2011 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Am I correct in assuming that once the module continuity between the H3/4 and H3/5 (starter control, key side and starter control, starter side), indicating the key is in and turned, and also gets +12V the H3/1 (ignition sense), that is how it detects that the vehicle has been started? Or is there something I'm missing?
The reason I ask is because I shorted the H3/4 and 5, then manually put +12V on the H3/1 wire, and it didn't reset, or allow me to enter programming mode.
I've ordered a bitwriter, it'll be delivered tomorrow. Will this tell me anything, or just allow me to change programming settings? I ordered it because whomever had the 5901 before me locked the valet program options.
smokeman1 
Posted: August 09, 2011 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

I think it would help if you listed, what wire from the viper,  you have connected to, what wire on the vehicle.   Not just the H3 harness, but all wires from all connectors.  This should be a rather easy install. Not much to be complicated about on it.

Next,  have you/did you use a DMM to test and verify the wires on the vehicle???

unbwogable21 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
I'll have to trace down my wires and post it. I have used a DMM to double check the wiring.
Something I did notice is that I get +12 on the H3/1 wire from the moment the key is turned on, through cranking, and when the engine is running with the key on.
I actually had to disconnect this wire to keep the starter from engaging when using the remote start. I reconnected it and disabled the remote starter while I'm attempting to solve this problem, but I feel they may be related.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic