the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2001 Impala, Viper 5501 Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2011 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  

Looks like that year Impala has built-in factory anti-grind. 

No hood pin is a bit dangerous.  You definitely want to add that feature with your new Viper system.

The FCCID number helps.  Here is a link to the FCC info :

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=172648&fcc_id='H5OR39'

Unfortunately there is no install guide listed.

The company, Advance Security, INC, is still in business.  Here is a link to their WEB site :

http://www.advance-security.com.tw/products.html
You might try searching the internet for an install guide or contacting them directly...

Soldering is fun!
billy101 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2011 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
So, I won't have to worry about that "cut ignition wire" thing? Cool.
Will the Viper system operate without the hood pin for awhile? The car currently does NOT have a hood, and will be without a hood for at least another week and a half getting prepped and painted. I'd like to get this installed and working while the car is just sitting in the garage.
I just sent them an e-mail asking for some sort of install guide, or something that would let me know what wires are for what.
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2011 at 4:31 AM / IP Logged  

De-installing the old system shouldn't be too much of an issue.  You have a good idea of how the Viper needs to

be connected.  In case the original ignition connections were doubled up ( one R/S output joined to two vehicle
ignition wires, i.e. both IGN1 and IGN2 or both ACC1 and ACC2 ) you want to correct that with the Viper install.

The current R/S probably has a wire connection to watch for the three Lock pulses and initiate a remote start. 

That won't be necessary with the Viper.

The hood switch is a very important feature but you can use the Vipers' Valet Mode as a safety until you get

it installed.  Just make sure the Viper's Gray Hood Pin Switch Input wire is not grounded.

Typical alarm hood pins tend to rust and not work too well after a year or so.  Plus, the typical installation

drills a hole in the vehicle for mounting.  Search the internet for a DEI 8613 or Omega AU-46 Tilt Switch.  If
you don't park on a steep hill, they work well and last a long time.  No hole to drill either, just use a hood
hinge mounting bolt.  Here is a photo :

2001 Impala, Viper 5501 Remote Start - Page 2 -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
billy101 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2011 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
That tilt switch looks like a neat idea. I'll probably go with one of those! When de-installing the current remote start, should I basically just cut the wires coming from the bypass module going to the current remote start system and then re-attach them to the Viper?
Should I trace the wires coming from the R/S module right now to the BCM wires and then cross reference them and use those wires for a simpler install?
kreg357 
Posted: July 28, 2011 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  

When re-using wires, check their condition, gauge and how they are physically connected.  I have de-installed systems that where connected with T-Taps, ScotchLoks and even just a simple wire wrap and electric tape.  Considering the age of your current system, I would only use the existing wires as a guide and still verify everything with a Digital Multi Meter.   Use a quality electric tape like Scotch 33+ to insulate everything.

Planning is very important.  Comparing the current system wiring to all available wires guides and then to the wires on the new system is a great idea.  You can't be over prepared.  Consider this a learning experience and give yourself plenty of time to do it right.

Soldering is fun!
billy101 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2011 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
I'm getting ready to purchase the Viper 5501. It says in the description that it has a "Virtual tach requires no tachometer wire connection required". So does that mean I don't have to connect that wire?
I'll be soldering all the wires together after using the current wires as a guide and then heat shrink wrapping them. Does that sound like a good plan? How long do you think this should take me?
kreg357 
Posted: August 01, 2011 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  

Using an actual Tach connection and setting the Viper to Tach Mode is the most reliable method of remote starting

the car, especially in cold climates.  That being said, if your car has "one touch starting" ( just rotate the key
to the "Start" position very  briefly and the car cranks the engine until it starts ) you can get away with
Virtual tach or even fixed crank time.  You can try it in Virtual Tach and switch over if you notice problems.

Heat Shrink tube is very good but most of your connections will be the "Tap" type.  That is where you strip off ~ 1/2"

of insulation from the vehicles wire and tightly wrap ( or "thread the needle" & wrap ) the remote starter wire
and solder.  To use heat shrink tube you would have to either cut the wire or temporarily de-pin a wire from its'
connector.  Due to testing & retesting and the bad things that can happen when you disconnect the battery, most
installers leave everything connected while installing.

If there are no surprises with de-installing the old unit and you are fully prepared with wire guide lists, tools,

supplies and familiar with the Vipers programming and other nuances, figure on a pleasant 4 hour install.  That
includes dis-assembly, removal, wire testing / verification, install, programming, system testing, re-assembly and
clean-up. Position the Viper in the vehicle and run each wire to its connection point (in groups where possible). 
Cut to each wire to length and use wire ties to keep things neat and organized.

Some Viper Tips:

1. The factory default is Manual Trans Mode.  You must re-program to Auto Trans. ( Be familiar with all programming
   menus & options and how to use the remotes to change them.)
2. Connect the Neutral Safety wire.  The Viper must see a ground (-) on this wire to initiate a remote start.
3. If using Tach Mode, do a Tach Learn before trying a remote start.

Soldering is fun!
billy101 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2011 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
My Impala does have the feature where when you turn it to start, you basically just need to tap it there and there is a relay or the computer will take over. No holding it in the start position. That being said...you said there is a way to use the virtual tach or a fixed crank time..are these all settings that the viper system has? and are settable? a crank time of 2-3 seconds would be PERFECT, and ensure a start each time.
billy101 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2011 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
Is there anything else I should be worried about?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic