the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

will a 528t work for this application?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2011 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2004 STI that I recently put an alarm in as well as a turbo timer. The problem I'm having is that the alarm will not arm until the turbo timer shuts off, so I have to wait til it shuts off to arm it.. which is basically defeating the use of the turbo timer.
Right now I have it hooked up using a "ground when running" output of my turbo timer. It has a ground whenever the turbo timer is activated. That then activates a relay which disconnects the ignition wire of the alarm. The issue with this setup is that the ground signal is being lost before the ignition is fully shut off... so the alarm is sensing voltage on the ignition and going off once the turbo timer shuts off.
So after a long background, here is my question: Can I use a 528t in a way that will activate the 528t when the ground signal is off so that there is a 2 second delay or so before it reconnects the alarm ignition wire... or is there another method for this to work?
Thanks in advance.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2011 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
I also thought about using a capacitor but not sure if it would work with a ground signal... and not sure what size I would need for a 2-5 second delay
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2011 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of alarm system are you using?
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2011 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
I never got the whole turbo timer thing.  I mean if you know your vehicle is a turbo, and you know you should let it cool down before you kill the car, why not get your foot out of the top of the head while you are on the way to your destination.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2011 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  
Do you have an aux output that you can program as a timed output for 1.5 minutes? And X 2 with Idiot and yet again with t&t, follow the rules and tell us what brand of alarm, now I see why you're a FORMER manager. Rookies would know better.will a 528t work for this application? -- posted image.
offroadzj 
Posted: August 16, 2011 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Do you have an aux output that you can program as a timed output for 1.5 minutes? And X 2 with Idiot and yet again with t&t, follow the rules and tell us what brand of alarm, now I see why you're a FORMER manager. Rookies would know better.will a 528t work for this application? -- posted image.
I deserved that... lol. I didn't think the type of alarm would matter, but regardless I should have posted up all the info.
As far as the turbo timer goes, I have for those few times that I might be in a hurry and can't sit and let it idle. Also, I will occassionally be taking it to the drag strip in the near future and wanted to have it for then. Granted, I know I could live without it, but I got it for dirt cheap and it doesn't hurt to have it.
The alarm is a Python 991 so it has plenty of aux outputs that I could set for a timed output but I didn't want to use the built in timer unless it activated automatically... which I could not find a way to do. Which is why I put the turbo timer in. If there is a way to get the built in tt to activate automatically, please let me know!!
And I am a former manager because good ole' C.City went under and I got into a different career. I like doing the installations as a hobby and it was starting to get more of a "task" than something I enjoyed. So I changed careers and continue doing installs as a hobby.
Ok, thats enough for this book... lol
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2011 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
Here's the diagram:- turbo_timer.bmp
Don't forget the diode, other wise you might well damage the alarm!
1N4004 either across 85 and 86 or in line (in series) with the aux, band towards the alarm.
offroadzj 
Posted: August 16, 2011 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Here's the diagram:- turbo_timer.bmp
Don't forget the diode, other wise you might well damage the alarm!
1N4004 either across 85 and 86 or in line (in series) with the aux, band towards the alarm.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't that require a push of the remote button to activate the timer? I would prefer to keep it automatically enabled if possible...
I have thought about using a capacitor that would "leak" down slowly but I'm not sure if it would work with a ground signal instead of a positive??? I'm not very "fluent" so to speak in capacitors.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
offroadzj 
Posted: August 16, 2011 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
Somehow my computer decided to double post... not quite sure how.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2011 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
Yes and it's the only way to do it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic