icon

relay triggering another relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the12voltuser 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2011 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, i installed a set of aftermarket horns to replace my one wimpy horn but with the stock relay they still arent that loud. i tried putting a different relay in place of stock but still the same. i tried using the stock relay to trigger the relay horns came with and it was MUCH louder.    My question is , is it safe/ok to have the stock relay trigger a second relay triggering the horns? Thanks :)
the12voltuser 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2011 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
its on a 1996 nissan altima
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2011 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

Using the OEM horn wire to trigger a relay will be fine.  It will actually be much less of a load on the horn circuit.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2011 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  
Mount the trumpets inside the splash shield facing the road (down) installing them in the engine bay is a waste of time because the engine parts and installation muffle the sound. Also I'd use the original relay and if necessary upgrade the fuse, that's what I do and I've owned two Maximas and right now a smaller Nissan all with air horns.
If you piggy-back the second relay, (use the NEG horn push wire to trigger it), and you press the horn for a second or less,you get the original horns, hold the horn button longer for the air horns. Without the second relay it's instant.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2011 at 4:05 AM / IP Logged  
Keeping in mind the usual (traditional) "hot" relay with grounded horn-switch (ie, a 3-terminal relay, else "normal" with #30 & #86 connected together to +12V).
(I presume it's wired traditionally.)
I'd probably run a new fuse and heavier +12V power cable for the new horn(s), but that assumes it uses 4-terminal relay IF the horns only work with IGN (or ACC) on - ie, #86 of the new relay to "B" or +12V supply of the original relay, then #85 to the horn-switch (usually "S" on a 3-terminal horn relay) - unless you want the new horns to be usable at any time (then a 3-terminal horn relay or #86 to #30 as normal).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic