icon

remote start for 08 vw gti

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
live4spd 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2011 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
I'd like to get a remote starter for my GTI but my last VW (2005 Passat) had such a hack job done by a local installer, I'm taking it upon myself to be part of the process.    
I've done some searching and it seems that the "easy way" to get a remote starter is to use a CAN bus adapter to output the correct signals to a remote start unit.   
It would seem as though the ADS-AL-CA is compatible.   
Should just order this module and pick my remote starter and go to work, or should I get something like the Viper 5301 and the Viper XpressKit?
Just wondering if the Viper XpressKit is a suitable replacement for the ADS-AL-CA module or which one I should use.   
I'm looking for remote start only, I would like to retain the use of my OEM keyfobs, and not disable that system.   By using the ADS-AL-CA I believe it will provide all of that.
If I use the ADS-AL-CA do I still need to have a valet key buried under the dash?
For those pro's that have done some installs on late VW, I appreciate the help, I've done some mobile electronics, is this something I can attempt myself with correct parts or should I seek professional help?
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 20, 2011 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
Best thing you could use is DEI's xpresskit.com and get the DB-All.
Gary Sather
live4spd 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2011 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
So I bought a DB-ALL and a 4203P Responder 1.    
Seems like it should be easy but I dont' know what's wrong. I have made all the connections and when I plug in all the boxes the car starts on it's own.   I have to unplug everything to get it to shut off. With everything disconnected the car operates normally.    
the DB-ALL directions tell me to connected everything in an order and hold down the programming button but it's not real specific on the condition of the remote start box.   Should the remote start box be plugged in or not. Either way holding the button down doesn't do anything.   No lights ever light up on dball or remote starter.
Any advice?
ruki101 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2011 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
live4spd wrote:
So I bought a DB-ALL and a 4203P Responder 1.    
Seems like it should be easy but I dont' know what's wrong. I have made all the connections and when I plug in all the boxes the car starts on it's own.   I have to unplug everything to get it to shut off. With everything disconnected the car operates normally.    
the DB-ALL directions tell me to connected everything in an order and hold down the programming button but it's not real specific on the condition of the remote start box.   Should the remote start box be plugged in or not. Either way holding the button down doesn't do anything.   No lights ever light up on dball or remote starter.
Any advice?
Based on your statement, I will suggest that you double check your connections because your car shouldn't start AT ALL just by plugging the RS module and bypass...
As for DB-ALL, (I've never used one) have flashed it with the latest firmware for your car?
BTW, you can also post your wiring connections for others to see and help you better.
Just About Anything Sparks
live4spd 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2011 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
OK well I moved some connections, I was using the skinny violet and pink wires for starter and ignition and I'm using the fat wires for starter and ignition. (from remote start unit) Plugging all this in doesn't result in the car starting immediately so I guess that's good.
However, no matter what connections if the blue connector is plugged into the DB-ALL (CAN bus high / low +12/-12) the red light comes on for 30 seconds then blinks once, then 2x. Recycling ignition does same thing.
Not sure what to do now, I'm quite confident I have the correct CAN wires. According XPRESSkit instructions and w2w instructions found on this forum.
ruki101 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2011 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
live4spd,
Can you clarify your wiring connections like the example below.
==RS Side==      ==Vehicle Side==
Remote Start, (H3)
H3/1 Pink,(+)Ignition output --> (+)Black @ Ignition Harness
H3/2
and so on...
Again, did you flashed your DB-ALL module with the correct firmware for you car? I think the LED code is for INVALID CAN NETWORK (The CAN bus was detected but the ignition on CAN
message is not detected. Check if the firmware from unit
is correct.)
Just About Anything Sparks
live4spd 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2011 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help.   I needed a key module so I just had Best Buy install the whole works.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic