icon

relays for video switcher

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
casofwaco 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
Im installing two 11" monitors in the trunk of a car. Im looking to make a cheap video switcher using relays. Only inputs are a camera mounted in the trunk and the head unit. i was wondering if anyone has a diagram or a post from an earlier thread that has a diagram so i can draw it up and take it with me to the car.  Thanks in advance.
BAD Boy Emergency Vehicle Lighting
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
Relay wired as follows. 85 to ground, 86 gets positive from switch or reverse lamp. 30 goes to center conductor of the RCA cable that goes to the monitor to be switched. 87A goes to the center conductor of the RCA cable that goes to the output of your indash unit. 87 goes to the center conductor of the RCA cable that goes to your camera. Twist the shields of all 3 RCA cables together, solder and insulate.
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2011 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  

might want to put a diod in there.  I dont know why, but i was told when i did this, that i needed a diod. 

relays for video switcher -- posted image.

If your cousin is such a good installer, and he will install anything for a 6 pack; why are you talking to me?
casofwaco 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2011 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
So would i need to wire two relays one for each tv
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 22, 2011 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
1 relay is all you need. Connect the center conductor of each tv's RCA cable to terminal 30 of the relay.
casofwaco 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2011 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
If we are wanting the tv's in the trunk to play different things, we wont need two different relays? Just curious, im going to work on the car tomorrow cause thats when our two tv's come in.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2011 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
afdanw wrote:
might want to put a diod in there. I dont know why, but i was told when i did this, that i needed a diod.
That diode is to suppress voltage spikes from the relay's coil when removing its power.
I typically call it a spike-protection or quenching diode.
casofwaco wrote:
If we are wanting the tv's in the trunk to play different things, we wont need two different relays?
Isn't that obvious? As you'd require 2 different signal sources, so too 2 relays.
And maybe different connections as described above if you want either source to display on either or both screens. But that was not specified in OP.
casofwaco 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2011 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the input it works great, it just took some time for me cause i wanted to get it right. when i get a chance i will show the pics of the install when im done. Its a 2009 Dodge Challenger and we are doing all TREO Engineering in it. 2-SSx10.44, the TREO Knob, Optima Red top, TREO SSX 1400.1(floated), 2- Farenhiet 11" monitors(still have to mount, just wired up to test for now) all in the trunk, Upgrading all the factory speakers to the TREO RSX line(for now), and running a Sony double din head unit.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic