the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

sub wiring problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2011 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  

So, you are telling us that each sub is wired to 2-ohms at the external terminals, yes?  If so, you simply treat them like Qty 2 X 2-ohm SVC subs and use the wiring wizard.  You can wire for either a 1-ohm or a 4-ohm load on your amp, your choice.  Then be very sure you set the gain properly.  Check the Hot Topics forum for instructions how to do that.  You only need to use one set of output terminals on your amp.  Using two is simply a waste of wire and a potential error amp-frying if you cross them up.

Support the12volt.com
chrisv213 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2011 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

I was told that because the terminals on my amp were connected internally, that they are essentially the same terminal, there was no way to cross connect them. I could get positive negative wrong, I guess, but that would just switch polarity, correct?

Also, as far as the wiring on the subs: Yes, I guess they are wired like two 2ohm svc subs, but I can not just wire between them to create one ohm because the enclosure is two sealed chambers. I do not want speaker wire running back and forthe between the subs on the outside of the box, and I do not want to cut the enclosure up either. And BTW, the wiring wizard does not give you the option of choosing two 2ohm svc speakers. I think I know how to parallel them without the wizard, but not without either of the two scenarios mentioned above.

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2011 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

1. Have the speaker wires going from 1 enclosure terminal to the next, in parallel, and have the second terminal wired to the amp.

2. Wire one enclosure terminal to one amp terminal, and wire the other enclosure terminal to the other amp terminal -or even the same terminal the first sub is wired to.

Done.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
chrisv213 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2011 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have it wired like example #2 now, That is 2 ohms. I want it to be at 1 ohm. Would example #1 bring it to 1 ohm?
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2011 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

If you have each sub wired to 2ohms, and you have the subs wired either way I described, the final impedance IS 1ohm...

Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
chrisv213 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2011 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

So nlet me see if I understand. By having the subs wired to 2 ohms at each respective box terminal, once i combine the wires, in this case at the output terminal on the amp, the load becomes 1 ohm, yes? In the case of example #2, you are just combining the wires at the  sub box instead of at the amp.

Cool. Thank you very much for the info and patience. I am a pretty intelligent person, but jumping into this car audio world with both feet and no prior training, it can be a lot to absorb.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2011 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
You are making this FAR more difficult than you have to... seriously.
Your DVC woofers are parallel connected at each woofer, right? DVC 4-ohm woofers can present either an 8-ohm load (when wired in series) or a 2-ohm load (when wired in parallel).
You have told us that your woofers are *each* wired in parallel. That's a 2-ohm load, per woofer.
Take one set of speaker wires and run them from ONE SET of banana terminals to one INDICATED +/- PAIR on the amplifier. It's a mono amplifier, it will not matter WHICH set you choose, just connect one woofer to the amplifier.
Now, once that's done, DO EXACTLY THE SAME THING WITH THE OTHER WOOFER TERMINAL SET, except connect THOSE wires to the remaining (should be unoccupied) +/- terminals on the amplifier. Again... It's a mono amplifier, the two indicated + (positive) terminals are connected internally. Likewise with the two indicated - (negative) terminals.
If you follow these simple steps, you will be running your amplifier at a 1-ohm load, I guarantee it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2011 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
sub wiring problem - Page 2 -- posted image. Yep!
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic