icon

89 Mustang Ungo Door Locks?? Blowing Fuses

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
screaminz28 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2002 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
I have an 89 Mustang with factory door locks. I have followed the 5 wire Alternating voltage diagram to a tee, and am blowing fuses when I put power to the constant 12v. I have verifed my lock and unlock trigger wires from the alarm, I have verified my switch and motor sides of the wires. i have the constant 12 coming from the same source the alarm pulls from. What am I missing. It is an Ungo 3001. I can take a testlight and verify which is the switch side of each wire. Each of those is going to 87a. I have power going to 87 on each relay, and 85 on one, and 86 on the other. I have the motor side of the switch going to 30 on each. I have 85 on one going to the alarm, and 86 on the other going to the alarm. What am I missing!?!?!? Where should I look first. If I simply connect the wires for the switch and motor side, the door locks work fine. My friends say that a 4 terminal relay will work, I say not. They also say the diagram with 4 relays will work, I say not. HELP ME PLEASE!!! Let me know where to look, what to look at, anything to figure this out! I am tired of arguing about it with them!
teknishn 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2002 at 4:56 AM / IP Logged  

If your relays' terminals were labled correctly and your description of how they're wired is accurate, then check your relays. At no time, ever, should 85, 86, or 87 come in contact with 87a internally, and 87a should be the one and only wire tied to ground (through the 5-wire switches). Not only that, but at idle (relays at rest with no voltage between 85 and 86), your 87 pole should be wide open (not connected to anything), and the side of the 85/86 coil opposite the 12V source will either be wide open as well, or will have close to 12V on it.

If you've wired them up EXACTLY as you said, and that fuse is blowing the instant you tie the relay pack to 12V, and the relay pack is the ONLY thing you're hooking up at that time, then all signs would tend toward a bad relay. More common, however, is the tendency to accidentally reverse 30 and 87, which would then be sending 12V through pole 30, thus instantly providing a dead-short path to ground. Basically, plug each relay in one-at-a-time to see if you have a bad one. Otherwise... "shall i schedule an appointment?" (heh heh).

q;^)

teknishn

screaminz28 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2002 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, I have found the problem. The 5 wire relay I have doesn't have an 87a. It has 2 87s that are connected all the time. The coil wires are 85 and 86. When activated, It sends the switch from 30 to both 87s. That is most likely my problem. Explain why this wont work though. Can someone email me a factory wiring diagram for the door locks? I want to know why a 4 wire relay wouldn't work. Why couldn't I simply splice into the door lock and unlock wire to send the signal. it seems excessive to cut the wires into the motor and switch leg.
audio Xclusive 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2002 at 2:36 AM / IP Logged  

the factory door locks are reverse polarity 5 wire alternating positive not 3 wire neg. if you had a honda then you would simply wire from the alarms NEGATIVE door lock outputs and tap into the cars NEGATIVE system.  the relays are used to change the negative outputs to positive ones.  Remember the lock and unlock wire should show continuity to ground when tested.  if a fused power wire touch a ground it blow the fuse.  Try connecting the alarms lock output to the 85 pole on the first relay then the unlock to 85 on the second relay.  Then use the two 87 and the two 86 poles for constant power.  87s from switch and 30 to motor legs.  this worked on the last ford I did.

I know what your going through good luck. Hope you get it.

another Xclusive installation

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic