icon

04 silverado, python 1401, viper 5901, pop, lock

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mvarnado 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
I am starting a project and I'm doing an excessive amount of research to make sure I'm prepared since I've never done something so involved before.
I am installing a Python 1401 Remote Start/Keyless Entry and a Pop and Lock PL8110 power tailgate lock into my 2004 Silverado regular cab pick-up. It doesn't have any power features aside from door locks, and I'm pretty sure it's a base trim or just above base. Below is a diagram of how to wire up my PL8110 to lock and unlock the tailgate independently of the power door locks. I would like a qualified person to verify that this is correct:
04 silverado, python 1401, viper 5901, pop, lock -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2011 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
I would use the door lock wire of the alarm to lock this lock. This way you will not forget to lock the tailgate. Then use the output to unlock the tailgate.
Your relay setup is correct.
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2011 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
either way will work fine, like idiot says doing it this way requires you to remember to always hit that first aux tolock, where as if you tie the lock into the lock portion of alarm it will always lock when doors lock, still using the relay, if using neg lock output off viper just add 2 diodes on that wire with stripe facing module and one diode goes to pin 85 of lock relay(for tailgate ) other diode goes to your neg lock wire in truck or your neg lock input on your door lock module(if using)
and then use aux channel for unlocking tailgate, just rememebr if you open tailgate after you close it youll have to hit lock , but easier than if you use aux1 to open aux2 to close
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2011 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
Whichever method, locks or aux either diode across the relays, 1N4004 with the band towards 86 or inline from the Python, bands towards the Python, it will protect the Python.
mvarnado 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2011 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you gentlemen, that was very helpful. I'll have to dig into diode basics because that was a little over my head, but I'll read up and post a reply. These are wise suggestions.
I'd like to be able to pull up at a location, get out of the truck and immediately lock the cab while leaving the tailgate unlocked. Then I'd like to be able to walk around to the tailgate, open it and unload my equipment, then lock the tailgate separately as I walk away. This is the scenario I find myself in most often. I thought about waiting until I open the tailgate and then locking everything at once, so that once I unload and shut the gate everything is now locked. This is where the problem is, because it seems that some aftermarket tailgate locks don't want to lock properly if you lock them while the gate is open. For that reason, I thought independent aux control of the gate lock would be convenient. I'm still considering my options. I wonder if there is such a thing as progressive lock like they have for progressive unlock. Hmmmm...
mvarnado 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2011 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
I've decided to swap out the 1401 for a Viper 5901. This whole project seems like a lot of trouble to walk away without a security feature. Does anyone have the capability of deleting this or allowing me to edit the name of the title or any mention of the 1401?
mvarnado 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2011 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
I've decided to take the wise advice of these members and tie my tailgate lock into the lock wire of my 5901. That way if I want to lock the cab only, I can hit the lock button on my truck door. The configuration I'm going for is as follows:
First Unlock – disarms security system if armed, unlocks driver door
Second Unlock – unlocks passenger door and tailgate
Trunk Release – unlocks tailgate, disarms security system if unarmed
Lock – locks everything, arms security system
Questions:
Does anyone know if pressing the trunk release on these types of systems, particularly the 5901, disarms the security feature when opening the trunk?
Am I going to have any problems tying both the "second unlock" wire and the "trunk release" wire from the 5901 into the same place? (the tailgate unlock wire on the PL8110) I would assume since the "second unlock" and the "trunk release" are both low voltage (-) output wires, I don't have to worry about the 5901 being damaged if they are connected to each other via the unlock wire on the PL8110. Are there extra steps I need to take in order to protect the 5901 or any other component?
mvarnado 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2011 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
Correction: Trunk Release – unlocks tailgate, disarms security system if ARMED.
mvarnado 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2011 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
Any issues with this?
04 silverado, python 1401, viper 5901, pop, lock -- posted image.
mvarnado 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2011 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
I realize that there would have to be relays involved. I'm interested in info on how to wire them up so that I can send signals from both the second unlock wire and the trunk release wire to the tailgate, where the passenger door only receives a signal from the second unlock wire.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic