dvc and amp connection

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
viruz187 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone.
I'm new to this forum and I need some advice on setting up my car audio.
I have the pioneer champion series TSW309D4 1400W DVC subwoofer 4ohms and I a calibra 600W x 2 bridgeoble amp. Its 2 ohm stable 2 ohm bridgeoble. Could I be advised as to how I go about connecting them up.Thanx
gandalf91 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 2:50 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Viruz,
Do you have a model number for that amp? I can't find anything specific. Is that 600W an RMS rating or "max rating"? At either rate, it sounds like what you'll want to do is wire you voice coils in parallel, positive to positive, negative to negative. Then run the bridged positive from the amp to the positive terminal on one coil and the and the bridged negative from the amp to the negative terminal on the other coil.
Again though, more information on the amp could help. If that's 600W RMS just be careful with the amount of power you pump through it as the sub is only rated for 400.
viruz187 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 3:07 AM / IP Logged  
Thanx for the advise gandalf91
Its a calibra cyclops model : STR275 amp
It is 600 watts max per a channel or 1200 watts max bridged.
2 ohm stable 2 ohm bridgeoble
So does this mean it can handle the lowest load of 2 ohms?
So by connecting the voice coils in parallel the 4 ohm load should now be 2 ohms, am I correct in saying that? And would having a 2 ohm stable 2 ohm bridgeoble amp be ideal?
If I hook up the voice coils in series the independence should be 8 ohms and with that which would be better suited? Or which is better or more benificial? Thanx
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 3:54 AM / IP Logged  

I am not familiar with that amp, but if it says 2 ohm stable, that is the stereo rating.  It might say bridgeable after that, but it is not 2 ohm mono stable.  You really need to connect one voice coil to each channel of the amp. 

viruz187 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 4:01 AM / IP Logged  
So if I connect each voice coil to each channel then its only going to power the subwoofer by 600watts?
Could I not conect the subwoofer voice coils in series and then connect to the amp bridged 1200watts
viruz187 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 4:05 AM / IP Logged  
So what would the independane be if this amp is bridged?
Let's say I bridge the amp and run a 4ohm load to it. Would that be better?
viruz187 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 5:23 AM / IP Logged  
Hi
I found the link to my amp
http://www.autostyle.co.za/product/18788/ST275CalibraStealth1200w2chAmp/
ST275 Calibra Stealth 1200w 2ch Amp
Total Power: 1200w
Max Power Out: 600w x 2
Continous Power Output 4ohm: 40w x 2
Max Power Output 4ohm bridge mono: 900w x 1
Continous Power Output 4ohm bridge mono: 130w x 1
Max Power Output 2ohm stereo or mono: 65w x 2
Dimensions: 230x64x253 (w x h x d mm)
Would this now be ok with my subwoofer?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
Gandalf's wrong. You'll be running at the equivalent load of 1-ohm per channel in that mode, and you can't do that. A GOOD amp will shut down, a cheap amp (this one) will likely fry. That amp cannot bridge into a 2-ohm load.
You MUST wire the coils in SERIES! NOT PARALLEL!!! Take a jumper wire. Connect it between a positive terminal on one side of the woofer to the negative terminal on the OTHER side of the woofer magnet. Now, forget it's there. You now have in your hands an 8-ohm SVC woofer. Bridge the amplifier to the remaining terminals, and you'll be powering it with a total of 80WRMS.
A second option: Bridge the amplifier to ONE VOICE COIL ONLY. If you use one voice coil only, you'll be powering it with 130WRMS, but it might likely have (marginally) less output than the first option I mentioned.
The woofer is rated 1400W. That's peak. Half of that is 700W. Half of that (because you're only running one voice coil) is 350W. If you run 130 watts into a single voice coil, you'll be perfectly safe.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
viruz187 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
Hi haemphyst
Thanx for the advise, I think I would go with the first option of connecting them in series. I read on sites that all voices coils must be connected or run the risk of failure to the woofer.I would like to get the most output off my woofer.
gandalf91 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
Haemphyst, I was assuming the amp could actually be bridged 2 ohms like the OP said which I guess it can't... If that were actually true that would not make me wrong.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic