icon

avistart 3001 02 ram diesel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rumblebis 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2011 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, so right out of the blocks, I know next to nothing about remote starters, never played with them before now.
I recently bought a 2002 Dodge Ram with the Cummins diesel, and while chasing some rogue sensor wires around the engine bay, I ran across an Avistart 3001 installed in the dash along with a small toggle switch hanging out in the middle of nowhere. After digging around the DEI website, I've now figured out why my remotes are definitely not stock (they're two-button models, but only the lock/unlock button has worked until recently - more on that later).
Anyway, while playing around with the buttons, I've found the following:
- If I toggle the switch, the truck will start, momentarily, three times. But immediately die. (the "wait-to-start" function operates properly)
- The remote will only start the car in "warm up mode" with the *, no go on actually using both buttons.
- I'm under the impression that the unit is missing the tach signal (which appears to be hooked up- and I'm thinking it needs to re-learn the tach signal) More to the point, the valet/timer function doesn't work, with the truck running if I press the *, the starter will engage - leaning me towards the box missing the tach signal or doesn't know how to interpret it. (which has led me to leave the switch in the no-worky position)
No on to my dilemma: on reading the manual, I'm missing the programming button- completely. I have an empty blue jack on the Avistart. I'm pretty handy when it comes to electronics (I'm a marine electronics technician and have experience with comms and nav gear) - and I made a leap of faith assuming that the switch is a simple make or break. Shorting the contacts in the blue connector has no effect. I can't for the life of me get the LED to blink, light, or show any signs of life. Is the programming switch a simple set of contacts or is it arranged as a supervised contact setup? Can I cobble one together?
Is it possible with the 3001 that the unit has been locked out by a bitwriter? I'm lost at this point, but being the eternal tinkerer I want to see if I can make this work. Having a functioning remote starter would be a boon up here in Alaska this winter.
Calls to DEI were met with "We're sorry, that's a protected product and we don't provide over-the-phone support."
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
eanderson651 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2011 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
It looks like that truck may have a security system that requires a bypass.  Do you know if a bypass is installed?  The starting 3 times but never firing can be a symptom of a security issue.
buddholly 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2011 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

To learn the tach signal, you will need a switch plugged in to the blue port, normally it's just a two-wire push button, but I don't see why you couldn't use a simple switch...Start the vehicle with the key, flip or push switch to on, when the LED lights up the tach signal is learned. 

rumblebis 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2011 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think the truck is equipped with an immobilizer, I will pull a build sheet from Dodge and check though, it's not covered in the factory service manual for '01 and '02 model years. When Avistart kicks the truck over, the RPM's come up off the starter - the truck is definately "started" but it shuts all the way down in between - no dash lights or instrumentation - the climate control toggles off. I'm leaning more towards the tach wire because if I press the "*" on the remote with the truck running, the Avistart will try to engage the starterI don't think the truck is equipped with an immobilizer, I will pull a build sheet from Dodge and check though, it's not covered in the factory service manual for '01 and '02 model years. When Avistart kicks the truck over, the RPM's come up off the starter - the truck is definately "started" but it shuts all the way down in between - no dash lights or instrumentation - the climate control toggles off. I'm leaning more towards the tach wire because if I press the "*" on the remote with the truck running, the Avistart will try to engage the starter. (Shouldn't it set the Valet mode?). (Shouldn't it set the Valet mode?)
I'm hoping someone out there has access to a programming switch and might be able to tell me for sure if the switch has discreet resistance properties. I've tried using a paperclip to mimic the switch with no luck (normally open and normally closed). I can't get the LED to respond to anything. Not sure how sophisticated this thing is, but I'm starting to think that it might be a supervised contact (two resistors in series with the switch shorting around one of them - common in current sensing circuits..). The only other two options are that the Avistart has been locked out by a programmer, or that the box is toast.
(I love that DEI hints that they support the product in the literature, but will shut you down in a heartbeat when you call them under the auspices of protected product.)
Many thanks for the info!
thecoolmankyle7 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2011 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  
That truck is easy when it comes to bypass key or not. Is the key gray and thick or black and thin? If its gray you got a chip. If its black you dont have a chip. Also if it is a gray key leave it in the ignition (dont turn it on, just insert it) then try to remote start. If it starts in needs a bypass if not then something else is wrong.
Also you should have been able to imitate the valet switch by just shorting out the two pins

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic