the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

anyone made ford sync work outside vehicle?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blue_16v 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2011 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

So I'm in the process of doing a little bit of R&D and was womdering if anyone on this board has sucessfully got a complete FORD SYNC system to work outside a vehicle? like on a demo board for integration Demo purposes??

I have a ( I belive it's complete ) SYNC system and all the related plugs and connectors and I have access to full factory  wiring diagrams BUT I'm still a bit sceptical -

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2011 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
What all do you have?  I have never seen it, but I do know that the SYNC module is not built into the radio.  Do you have a separate box that you believe to be that module?
blue_16v 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

well Here is what I have :

I have the Main ACM, Unit ( Actual CD Player ) , I have the sattelite Radio Add on Reciver,  I have the Actual Sync Module, ( A seperate Piece from Both of those ), Usb Cable that Comes from the sync ,

and the Mini 3.5 mm Aux input jack and I have all the connectors that Plugs into all of the above,

Now  as Far as What I DO NOT HAVE, I don't have the steering wheel Controls, or the microphone, but Im sure I can Retrofit something to work,

Any Idea's or  suggestions? on where to start?

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 13, 2011 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  

I would start with the appropriate wiring harness available from Metra.  They make harnesses that will plug into an OEM radio.  What is the year and model of the vehicle you got the system out of?

blue_16v 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2011 at 3:39 AM / IP Logged  

well I actually Have  all the wiring that does connect to all of the components that I have , I belive this entire system was taken out of a 09 - 10 Explorer ?

Wiring harnesses and  Modules that I do Have : CD player ( ACM )  - Have harness

Sat Radio Module - Have harness

Sync Module - Have harness

I know that to update or diagnose or test  the sync system it has to be done through a VCM w/ a computer at the dealership,

I also Know that the sync system uses a part of  the vehicles CAN BUS to comunicate with the other modules in the car,

I do need to factor in the Can comunication Wires between the units, That being said, Can high and can Low would have to be some how manipulated

into working between just the audio side of things ( CD Player >>SAT radio >> SYNC Module) then I could add the microphone and the steering wheel control to operate the system,

After all  the sync system works all on voice commands and the PTT Button on the steering wheel is just baised on resistance -

I just need help with wiring all these things together - If any one has done this before - or has some helpful advice, PLEASE CHIME IN !!!

awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2011 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
What kind of factory anti-theft does that radio have? A lot of the newer radios have to be "married" to the BCM.
blue_16v 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2011 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

I can power the system up because FORD does not have a " lock " on their head units so its pretty straight forward - I just need to find out if its even remotely possible

at the moment all I have for now is being able to power up the main unit ( ACM ) , and thats it.....

any other suggestions?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic