icon

2006 envoy denali remote start problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2011 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yes Ted very true and you do have great knowledge which you dispense without my cynicism/sarcasm.
truckmann 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2012 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
offroadzj wrote:
Other than the over-rev protection there really is no need for the tach on that vehicle. The drop in acc. tells the bcm to start and the bcm takes over from there. The remote start doesn't actually crank the starter. Did you connect the starter wire?
As far as programming the tach... did you have the engine running at all? And what did you connect the tach wire to?
Sorry I never have responded back. Since I got it working I haven't been checking back and I didn't have it set to send me e-mails. It's been working fine in the voltage sensing mode so I don't care about hooking up the tach anymore. Just for the sake of answering your question though hooked to a white wire going into the instrument cluster that I believe to be a tach signal. I used the same wire on my 2003 Silverado and it works fine. The big problem I was having was that I could not even get the remote start module to go into the programing mode. I followed the directions a bunch of times and it would go into every other mode in the manual, but not the tach programing. Had I been able to get it into the right mode I would have been able to follow the rest of the setup directions, which did included starting the engine. Oh well not big deal since I don't need it anymore. :)
truckmann 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2012 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
I do however have a few annoying issues with this system I'm wondering about though.
The horn doesn't honk to verify the doors are locked on a second lock command.
When a remote start is commanded it is suppose to lock the doors automatically and that isn't happening.
I also don't think the parking lights are flashing when the are suppose to.
I believe all of these things are suppose to be controlled via the idatlink module, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working properly. It does lock, unlock and start when commanded as it should though. I think I'm going to try and re-flash the firmware to the module and see if that helps. That is if I can get into the flashing software since they want you to have a business in order to login to the site and flash modules.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2012 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Looking at idatalink's site, I don't see that module listed for the 2006 Envoy or Envoy XL (Denali is not listed but it should not matter). It does however list the ADS-DLSL GM1. However the features list for that module does not contain parking lights or horn.
As far as the locking after starting, that may be a programming option in the starter. I know on the newer DEI they call it the starter safelock. It is defaulted to Off. You need to turn it on for the doors to lock after starting.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2012 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

The idatalink does not do horn or parking lights, you need to wire those to the vehicle. So your horn isnt going to honk if it isn't connected to the vehicle. The parking lights need to be wired directly to the vehicle also ( Autopage default is to have them come on solid when remote start. you can program to flash).As far as I know the doors should lock upon remote starting, this can be turned off with programming also. If you look at install #3 in the idatalink manual it shows no connection for park lights and horn from R/S to bypass. These are usually not done through data bus in most vehicles anyway. I use only Autopage remote starters and have done about 15 of them in the last 3 months as a side job.

truckmann 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2012 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
offroadzj wrote:
Looking at idatalink's site, I don't see that module listed for the 2006 Envoy or Envoy XL (Denali is not listed but it should not matter). It does however list the ADS-DLSL GM1. However the features list for that module does not contain parking lights or horn.
As far as the locking after starting, that may be a programming option in the starter. I know on the newer DEI they call it the starter safelock. It is defaulted to Off. You need to turn it on for the doors to lock after starting.
The ADS-ALSL GM is their all-in-one module so with the correct firmware loaded it does the same as the ADS-DLSL GM1.
I'll have to double check the remote start programming. I think the Autopage is suppose to be set to lock the doors by default, but I may have read it wrong or messed it up trying to get things to work early on.
jstruckman wrote:

The idatalink does not do horn or parking lights, you need to wire those to the vehicle. So your horn isnt going to honk if it isn't connected to the vehicle. The parking lights need to be wired directly to the vehicle also ( Autopage default is to have them come on solid when remote start. you can program to flash).As far as I know the doors should lock upon remote starting, this can be turned off with programming also. If you look at install #3 in the idatalink manual it shows no connection for park lights and horn from R/S to bypass. These are usually not done through data bus in most vehicles anyway. I use only Autopage remote starters and have done about 15 of them in the last 3 months as a side job.

Darn. This is the first time I have used idatlink. I understand about the horn as it looks like none of the modules do that, but I can't believe it won't do the parking lights through the data bus. I'm pretty sure the Fortin module is capable of that. What's funny about the parking lights on it now is they do flash when doing an unlock, but that seems to be the only time they ever do anything. The only reason I picked the idatlink over Fortin is my wife like the 2 step door unlock feature (which I actually can't stand since it doesn't really work like the factory). I'll have to double check the Autopage programing on the door lock when starting. I may have just inadvertently changed that feature.
Guess I'll be hooking up a few more wires when I have time. Thanks for the info!
truckmann 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2012 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
I just ran out and checked the programing on the Autopage unit. The doors not locking with a remote start was not programmed like I thought I had it, so I fixed that.
While I was at it I took a better look over some of the other features and notice one about the door locks with ignition control that has been annoying me so I disabled that. The vehicle takes care of the locking and unlock fine on it's own without help from the remote start unit. :)
I also notice there is a 2 step unlock program mode in the remote start unit. Hopefully changing that setting will make the 2 step unlock work better. It seemed to be more responsive in my short test than just relying on the interface module to deal with it.
After I get the horn and parking light wires hooked up I'll be set! Thanks again for the input and pointing me in the right direction. I think this is the 5th install I've done on various vehicles I've owned and it seems to be getting more complicated every time. I guess that's the way it goes. Glad you guys are here to help me out.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic