icon

raptor 5 farad led fails to illuminate

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bayfisher 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2011 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
I have had two FIVE FARAD CAPACITORS in a row after exchanging it through the installer (professional), two times in less than a month. THE issue is that it intermittently, or not at all fails to illuminate the led display, and its almost driving me to hurl it off the cliff. The remote wire is going to cap first then the amp. The amp does turn on and tells be that the cap is working and is charged, but when it fails to beep, and give a signal that the led is on, this has caused me to return it time after time. The head unit is an ALPINE CDA 117, and is a late 2010 model. the cap is a hybrid cap, ans has a blue display. Voltage is showing, but can anyone at all, with similiar experiences please enlighten me of what is causing the led to show or light up as it should. I dont beleive that every unit is defective so I think it is another area that  I am not concentrating on, FYI............THERE IS ONE GROUND FOR THE CAP, and none for the amp. I dont know if resistance is causing this by not grounding amp too. The amp and cap are on one ground. Thank you for taking time to read this.raptor 5 farad led fails to illuminate -- posted image.
Leonard
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2011 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
I question why you even bother with a cap.
And I suspect that being a "hybrid" cap it is nothing more than a battery.
But the amp must be grounded.
And caps should be across the +12V power supply, not the remote. (But caps are only generally needed for BIG systems to increase AGM battery life. Otherwise batteries are generally better - eg, 1.2AH to 7AH AGM batteries.)
bayfisher 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2011 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  
i still am seeking a solution and not an opinion or observation .
Leonard
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2011 at 6:00 AM / IP Logged  
Apologies - I thought removal of the cap was a solution.
My other alternatives however are also observance and opinion based.
Maybe someone else understands your wiring and implementation and will provide a solution.
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2011 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  
The amp is supposed to be wired in parallel with the Cap so the amp turning on doesn't mean the cap is charged or working.
I am not sure I understand the problem, you said the voltage display is showing, what else are you expecting the cap to do?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2011 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
he said it fails to illuminate the display. So a capacitor without a display is only a distribution block.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2011 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
Apologies - I thought removal of the cap was a solution.
^ +1
awdeclipse wrote:
I am not sure I understand the problem, you said the voltage display is showing, what else are you expecting the cap to do?
^ +1
i am an idiot wrote:
So a capacitor without a display is only a distribution block.
^ +1
Seriously. I am not even sure where you see a problem occuring. I am not trying to be a P3N1S about this, but I really don't understand where you see any issue or problem.
1: Battery positive to cap, then amplifier
2: Cap negative to chassis
3: Amp negative to chassis
4: Remote lead from deck to cap remote to amp remote.
Do I understand your connections correctly? So now, all that you seem to have an issue with is that the cap's blue LED doesn't light? Is this where by breakdown is?
Just because the LED voltage meter doesn't light, that in no way, shape, or form, means that the cap isn't functioning. Caps don't have power switches. They are either charged and on, or they are discharged and off.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bayfisher 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
People...i said theres no ground to amp,only cap.please slow down and read post.
Leonard
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2011 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
Dear oh dear!
So how is your amp grounded?
If it isn't grounded properly, I'd start worrying about blowing the amp rather than a probably useless voltage or LED display.
Sorry, that was two more opinions.
bayfisher 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2011 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
the cap has four connectors, of which two are positive and two are negative. I didnt install, it was done at a shop. The negative is grounded from the cap to chassis, and the positive and negative goes to the amp. Instead of having two grounds, there is one. DOES ANYONE REJECT THIS IDEA, and why?
Leonard
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic