icon

how to read connectors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lynnboy021 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
i am hooking up a remote starter and it says something like white 18 pin connector, pin 7..... how do i know where pin 7 is????
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
How many rows of pins are on the connector?  What color is the wire you are looking for?  Find that color wire and check to see if it is 7 positions from one corner of the plug. 
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
On one or all of the corners there will be a very small number stamped on the connector. Its on the back of the connector(where the wires come out).
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
lynnboy021 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
2011 civic. need to hook up for the
FACTORY ALARM DISARM   BROWN (-)  in DRIVERS KICK PANEL, DOOR Harness, (WHITE, 18-Pin Plug) Pin 7

but the thing is that there is two brown neg wires the same.....

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
its the 22 gauge brown wire. This wire is VERY thin and you can rip it in half easily with a pair of wire strippers.
test with a digital meter, red to constant 12v, black to brown wire. the meter will register ~12v when you unlock with the key in the driver key cylinder.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
Test the wire by turning the key in the door. it should show ground only during unlocking. It may need to be tested from the pass. door cylinder.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
plugs will have numbers on them as kenny suggested, but most connectors are read left to right (wire side) with the push clip pointing up. OBD is always read from the front view from my experiences.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
lynnboy021 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
i put a probe onto it and both browns showed both neg and on that 18 pin plug it only had 3 wires.
offroadzj 
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
Can you see the back of the plug and the stamped pin numbers anywhere? Something doesn't sound right that it only had 3 wires coming from it. I though it was in a fairly "full" connector...
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
lynnboy021 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
well i dont have the car with me  but i will check when he comes back. now does it go 12345 across or up and down
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic