icon

steering wheel doesn't rise on bmw 528i

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dlstech 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
A guy just called me about a problem with an alarm that was installed in his 1999 BMW 528i. He said two things, 1, the steering column can't go all the way forward without hitting something. That's probably an easy fix, just have to look and see what was installed in the way of it. And 2, the steering wheel won't go up automatically when the ignition is turned off. This is that one I'm not sure about. Could the alarm have caused this? Maybe something needs to be diode isolated?
Do you guys have any ideas? The steering wheel went up automatically when the key was turned off but after the alarm, it stopped.\
Thanks
dlstech 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
also, the steering wheel will go up if the button is pressed. But it will also randomly go down again.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2012 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
Does this alarm have an ignition cut?
dlstech 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
It's this alarm. http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/ig/clifford/N919564_07-05.pdf
But he has the heavy gauge 8 wire remote start harness in the box because he chose to install just the alarm and no ignition cut.
It could be an electrical problem. I've worked on a ton of BMWs with intermittent problems where sometimes something works, and sometimes it doesn't. That's why I usually choose not to work on BMWs anymore. But the guy said it started sometime after the alarm was installed.
Could it be sensing that there's some wiring in the way and not be going up because of that? Sorry I haven't looked at it yet so I can't give much more info.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2012 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
Doesn't seem anything electrical, do a physical check, the column comes apart easily. He might have "spiked" the steering column control processor during installation.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic