03 toyota corolla hids

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lakers123 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Hi
I have an 03 toyota corolla with daytime running lights(DRL) after installing a HID conversion kit I get flickering lights, any suggestions on how to fix this problem I'm having? Thanks
ceasar326 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2012 at 7:16 AM / IP Logged  
You need to get high intensity discharge Anti-Flicker capacitors. Really comment on most vehicles like dodge, chevy, chryslers. I sell a lot of HID's and the flickering is really comment. Depending we're u buy your set they should have the capasitors.
xchrisx 
Copper - Posts: 197
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
you can also get the AC ballasts for future reference rather than DC ballasts. The AC ballasts are guaranteed not to ever flicker!
bp
lakers123 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your response. I did buy a relay kit for it that it was supposed to fix this issue ,but it didn't. Not sure where to get or what capacitor to get. It's really annoying having them flicker. I also failed to mention that being that I have DRL , they only flicker if I don't manually turn the light switch on.
xchrisx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
Huh...try metering the headlights with the switch off and them only on with the DRL, maybe its not at 12v, maybe close to it like 11.4-11.7v which is causing the flickering?03 toyota corolla hids -- posted image. If that is the case, hook the relay up to the factory headlight wires with a relay so it will be at 12v all the time when the car is on.
bp
lakers123 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks again! Your right about the 12volt, but not sure exactly on how to wire the relay
xchrisx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
87 to + on the headlight side for both the left and right lights
86 to + on the headlight switch side
30 to + on the battery
85 to - (you can probably splice in the - from the headlight wiring but if that doesn't work, then just ground it to the chassis of the car)
So you will end up cutting one of the + headlight wires in half for the OEM headlight wiring, not the HID kit and putting the side closest to the headlight pigtail to 87 with one more wire attached for the other headlight on the relay and the switch side to 86 on the relay.
You WILL need to have 2 wires coming from 87 on the relay, one going to the driver side headlight and the other going to the + of the passenger side headlight.
This should fix your problem and will have 12v whether the headlight switch is on or it is just the DRL's running the lights.
bp
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
The duty cycle of the DRL relay output is probably causing the flickering. If you cut and ground the RED / black wires at the headlights, it should solve the flickering problem. Just make sure you insulate the relay side of the wire before wrapping everything up.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
xchrisx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
91stt wrote:
The duty cycle of the DRL relay output is probably causing the flickering. If you cut and ground the RED / black wires at the headlights, it should solve the flickering problem. Just make sure you insulate the relay side of the wire before wrapping everything up.
if you do that then i believe you will no longer have DRL's....I could be wrong, I didn't look up what the RED / black wire was for, but I'd imagine cutting a wire in half and just taping one side off and grounding the other side would just eliminate something...
bp
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2012 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
If you're adding a relay, take the +12V from the battery (with fuse). That should be the smoothest power around (the battery is a cap).
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic