icon

remote start 2007 chevy malibu anti gri

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
benjf3 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  

Will be picking up a 2007 Chevy Malibu for Remote Start/Keyless Installation. I did some research on the vehicle and the intall is pretty straight forward with a databus module handling most functions. My concern is that the vehicle doesn't have a typical Starting System with a Starter wire and  I'm looking for input on how (or which wires) to use to install an Anti-Grind. I have been including Anti-Grind options as standard with all my Starter installs as most people love this option. I did look for an AP8 RPO Code for a Factory Add On, but this vehicle doesn't have that option and I've found most aftermarket Starters outperform the OEM ones, especially in range.

So, if anyone could give some guide as to how an Anti-Grind is wired into this vehicle, it would be greatly appreciated! Any other pointers or tips are appreciated as well! Thanks.

corlon 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2012 at 4:05 AM / IP Logged  
i believe this vehicle has a built in anti grind circuit from the factory. give it a try before you being your install.
nice...
benjf3 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2012 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I was thinking that based on what I've seen of the ignition for the data bus install. I'll know in a week once I have the car..
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2012 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
no need for antigrind, the vehicle has one. the system MUX or multiplex. You can do a partial start (bump the starter), and the vehicle will continue to crank and start the vehicle.
likewise when it has been started, the starter is diabled
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
Want a little tip? Just do Ign. And Acc. At the switch, and a key in a box. Thats all that car needs. Save the fancy interface, and fooling with those "resistance" wires.
benjf3 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2012 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

Mark Mizenko wrote:
Want a little tip? Just do Ign. And Acc. At the switch, and a key in a box. Thats all that car needs. Save the fancy interface, and fooling with those "resistance" wires.

That might be fine for some, but I don't want to give up the rest of my feature set or an ignition key. This is the reason I stopped using local shops, they were taking the cheap way out and charging a premium. This method may be fine for some, but I intend on interfacing with the trunk, factory alarm, and door locks. The easiest way I found to do this was with a data module which will handle all those resistance values.

zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
Mark Mizenko wrote:
Horrible tip. This isn't the 90's anymore. Key in a box on a car like this makes me think the installer has a mullet.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
??
I only specified what the car needed to start.    And I didnt say anything about how much to charge someone.
Shoddy work, ripoff.   What'ya work at best buy?
benjf3 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2012 at 6:05 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, I checked with a GM dealer and even though this car doesn't show an AP8 RPO Code it is listed via the dealer by VIN # as taking the factory add onn start. I can get the kit for $135 (same as I'd spend for a quality start unit and data module) and they can activate it for .6 hour labor charge whereas I'd have to burn a few hours wiring in the aftermarket one. I'll probably go that route, but thatnks for the postings.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2012 at 6:19 AM / IP Logged  
Not positive but some of the GM remote start systems have some p< size=3 face="Arial">eculiarities, like a 10 minute run time with only one extension.  Might want to check on that.  Also the range isn't as good as most aftermarket systems, if that is important for your use situation.
Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic