icon

2001 hyundai accent

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
87pontiac 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2012 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  
What other higher amperage factory alternator will fit my 1.5L Accent? Recently put 550w rms audio system with .5 cap 2 12 inch subs at idle dash lights go really dim but not headlights note new battery installed.
xchrisx 
Copper - Posts: 197
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2012 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
You can just eBay a high output alternator or go to an autopart store and ask for one. But I would upgrade the big 3 first, have 4ga or better power and ground wires and the cap isn't doing you much since it is only a half farad, I would get a 2 or 3 farad cap. That should help a lot with the dimming, and if it still dims, then upgrade the alternator, but with that little wattage, it shouldn't be much of an issue, although that is the BEST thing you can do and its great to hear a n00b mentioning to upgrade their alternator first, you've done your homework.
bp
87pontiac 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the response. Definitely going to do Big 3, but still curious about higher amperage alt from another Hyundai, just thought someone would know. The cap is Scosche Platinum Series Capacitor 500K micro-farad, not a big heavy hitter, but thought I would give it a try. Funny thing is, only the dash lights dim out the headlights/parklights don't, going to check wiring for possible causes.
Again thanks alot!!!!
Ron
2001 Hyundai Accent 1.5L
xchrisx 
Copper - Posts: 197
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
if there were an issue with the wiring, you would hear it in your speaker which wouldn't effect the lights, or it would turn on and off randomly, which wouldn't effect the lights or there wouldn't be memory on the radio, again wouldn't effect the lights all only when the bass hits... it is either the alternator upgrade, wire upgrade or battery upgrade. nothing with how its wired.
bp
04nata 
Copper - Posts: 358
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2012 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

I searched ALL over for a Hyundai hi output alt, one place quoted me $700, but you can get a FITZALL200 from Power Basturds for like $350. You may need to shim it, but they garranty it to fit

But FYI, I am running 1000 watts RMS on my Hyundai with a 75amp alt, and the headlites don't dim at all, but I have do the BIG3 (or little 3 on this car) but I added additinal 2ga to all. 

2004 Hyundai Sonata
Kenwood KDC-X599 HU
2-Sundown X-18D4
2-SQ Q4500.1
2-SQ Q90.4
1-Massive DBX4
8-Niche 5.25 mids
8-Niche Tweeters
4-Skar 8" mid-bass
OhioGen 220a alt
OhioGen 350a alt
87pontiac 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2012 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
Good to know, funny thing is my headlights don't dim just the dash lights fade out when the engine is at 850 rpm but come back on at over 1000 rpm (as alt speed increases). Also when the heater fan is FULL ON ( High) the lights dim quicker as I come to a stop ( more power). Big-( Little) 3 is in the works will get back to you.
Thanks Alot
Ron

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic