the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2007 toyota sienna car starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

Try the BLACK/ Orange wire at the ECM, top plug, Pin 5.  Audiovox lists the Tach wire as GreenRed @ same plug and pin.  Removing the glove box is pretty easy.  As shown in the picture. it's right next to the Cabin Air Filter access panel.

Soldering is fun!
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 18, 2012 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
Oleg, here is my experience with the 2004-2010 Sienna:
---I've never found the tach wire at the OBDII diagnostic port. I see that other posters here are showing pics of it, and I hate to contradict them, but I'm 99.9% sure it's not there on your generation of Sienna.
---The picture kreg357 shows at the ECM is accurate as far as I can remember.
What I do is I open both glove boxes (upper and lower), and then you can actually just grab the upper glove box with your hands and it pulls straight out. No screws; it just unclips when you pull on it.
Then you can look in there, look down and a bit to the right, and there's the ECM. Just like kreg's picture, look for the cabin air filter first, and then go to the right of that.
It should be the only BLACK/ orange wire in the top plug at the ECM.
Besides all that though.......
How has the rest of your installation worked out? Do you feel sure that everything else is hooked up right?
If you want to hook up tach, that's a good thing; the remote starter will work more accurately with it connected. However, the APS901C also works pretty well in Voltage Sensing mode, and even if you don't want to keep voltage sensing forever, it's a very useful troubleshooting tool in any case.
Go into the programming menu and change the following:
---Change the Voltage/Tach/DBI Tach/Hybrid setting from Tach (Default) to Voltage.
---Change the Voltage Level setting to whatever the non-default setting is. I think default is "greater than 0.5 volts;" you want to change it to "less than 0.5 volts."
After you've done that, just try using the remote starter without the tachometer connection and see if it works.
If it works like that, good, at least you know the rest of your installation is good. You can leave it like that and it should work fine forever, but you can still keep trying to find a good tach signal if you want.
However, if it doesn't work, then you know something is wrong with the rest of your installation; it will need for you to troubleshoot and fix it before even worrying about tach at all.
oleg4 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2012 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
Chris Luongo i did how you told me by changing it from tach to voltage mode and
and voltage level its "less than 0.5 volts"
also for Crank Averaging its on present because it didn't start with averaging
so when i started it starts and runs for maby 5 to 10 seconds and then stops any idea why
and with the tach at ECM top plug pin # 5
i tried both of the wire the BLACK/ orange and with the pin 5 wire could not program it
here the pic how it looks
2007 toyota sienna car starter - Page 3 -- posted image.
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
They're giving you the TACH info for a 2005 sienna. 2007 Sienna TACH is the second plug down from the top, Pin 1. You can see it in the picture you posted. It's in the next plug down in your picture. In that plug, there are only 2 wires in the column all the way to the left. Its the upper wire of the 2 and of course its BLACK/ orange
oleg4 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2012 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
thanks, but anyone has any idea why with voltage mode it stops running, also i started it without any transponder bypass, could that be the reason why it shots off?
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
Sometimes some cars just don't work with voltage, then you have to use a tach signal. I believe that not all Sienna's have transponder keys, so no bypass is needed. Look for security light flashing, it only flashes when there is no key in the ignition cylinder. check the gauge area as well as around the radio/climate control area. You can also wrap the factory key head with aluminum foil. This will block the transponder signal if there is one. If the car starts with the foil around the key head, then there is no transponder. If it doesn't start then there is a transponder.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

Check for this 7 Pin connector at the ignition cylinder.  This is from a 2005, but should be the same if you have a transponder immobilizer.

2007 toyota sienna car starter - Page 3 -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2012 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
oleg4, something has got to be wrong with the "bones" of your installation. We installers have lots of debate about the reliability of voltage sensing, but even its worst critics would admit that it works at least in the short term.
Installers in favor of always connecting a tach wire just don't want to see the customer return in the future with intermittent problems, such as when the weather changes, or the car gets old or out of tune.
Repeat: Maybe you should or shouldn't leave the system in voltage sensing mode forever. But voltage sensing should definitely work in the short term. That's why I say it's a good troubleshooting tool.
What you want to do is basically strip your install down to the basics. For the remote starter to work, you don't need hoodpin, brake, parking lights, locks, tach, or even transponder bypass.......make sense? Just get the thing to start first, and then worry about the rest.
So basically you should (temporarily) have it like this:
---Voltage sensing mode, with tach not hooked up.
---Whatever you used for a transponder bypass should be unpluggeed or disconnected, and just leave your existing good key in the ignition (but in the off position) for now.
---Unplug the 4-pin connector that does the locks, just for the hell of it. If you're really worried, you can even temporarily disconnect your parking lights and brake....you don't need those during testing.
Make sense? Strip it right down to the basics: All you really need is ground, antenna, and the ignition connections. That should be enough to just start the car. That's all you want to accomplish at this point---just get the car to start. Worry about all the details afterward.
If you do the two things above, you've (temporarily) ruled out tach and transponder as possible trouble spots. If the rest of the install is good, the remote starter should work. If the remote starter doesn't work, troubleshoot and fix whatever is wrong before worrying about transponder and/or tach.
You said it starts and stops running. If you have any more information, it would be good. How long does the car run for when it remote starts? Do the climate controls work during this brief time? Any strange warning lights on the dash?
Also, when the remote starter fails, if you leave it alone, does it try again, or stop forever? The reason I ask is this: If the remote starter senses a problem with voltage or tach signal, it'll make two more attempts. If it "sees" the brake lights coming on or the hood being raised, it'll shut off and stay off. Also, in the second programming table for the APS901C, it should have a "diagnostics" setting. Try to use that and figure out the reason for the thing shutting down.
How are your ignition connections wired? When you said that crank averaging didn't work, and you had to put the unit on pre-set time, that's a warning sign right there. The unit "watches" the yellow wire, and when you turn the ignition on (powering up the Prestige's blue wire) and then turn the key to the Start position, it monitors the yellow wire to see how long it stays energized for. So, it's likely/possible that either the blue and/or yellow wires are in the wrong place. I'd start right there at the ignition switch.
You should have the following connections:
Toyota WHITE/ red constant: red and RED / white of Prestige
Toyota WHITE/ blue constant: This wire is only 7.5 amps; I wouldn't use it for anything at all.
Toyota black ignition: blue wire of Prestige. IMPORTRANT: This blue wire not only powers up the car during remote start, but it also serves as an input to the Prestige for programming functions, as well as letting the unit "know" to "watch" the yellow for crank averaging. P.S. The Toyota black wire is what turns on the ignition in the car to let the engine start.
Toyota small BLACK / YELLOW second ignition: connect to green Prestige Ignition 2. Be SURE to NOT change the default in programming. Don't change it to "as accessory" or "off during crank;" leave it on "as ignition."
P.S. This wire in the Toyota powers up the climate controls, as well as a bunch of other stuff. If you didn't connect it at all, the remote starter would work, but it wouldn't run the heater and you'd have all kinds of crazy warning lights on.
Toyota pink accessory: On my installations, I don't hook this up at all, but you'd put it to the purple Prestige accessory output.
P.S. The Toyota pink supplies power to the radio, power mirrors, cigarette lighters, and some other non-essential items. I leave it disconnected so the radio stays quiet during remote start, but go ahead and feel free to hook it up if you want to.
Comments about the above wires:
---It's important to note that there are two BLACK / YELLOWs: One's an ignition, and ones a starter. Make sure you test these wires so you don't hook them up backwards from the remote starter.
---The two main ignition wires, the black and the small BLACK / YELLOW, it really doesn't matter much which goes to the blue and which goes to the green on the Prestige.....just be sure not to accidentally reprogram or change the Prestige Ignition 2 setting.
---Since you said the crank averaging wasn't working, I'd say there's a good possibility you mistakenly put the Prestige blue ignition wire, to the Toyota's pink accessory wire. This would allow you to program features on the remote starter, but then when you go to start the car by key, the accessory wire drops power, and this confuses the Prestige and it can't do its job of crank averaging. This would also mean, in turn, that probably either the Toyota black or small BLACK / YELLOW is being mistakenly powered as an accessory....which means it drops out right at the moment it needs to be on....which would certainly make it not remote start correctly.
oleg4 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
Thx chris luongo your reply realy helped me out. i just mixed the black and yellow wire since there is two of them, i tested everything and it work as it should be, now just have to get the tach hooked up and programed.
oleg4 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
last question, since when the car is running, it disables the factory security system so you can't lock it or unlock it from the factory remote.
same with when the car is running under the remote starter, you can't lock it or unlock it from the factory remote.
so to fix this, could i put a relay on Key Sense the BLUE/BLACK wire,
so when car is running under the remote starter it opens the circuit for the Key Sense wire, allowing the person the lock or unlock the car from the factory remote wile the car is running under the remote starter.
would that work?
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic