icon

fiberglass in 99 cobra trunk

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mclovin2012 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2012 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  

First I want to say you guys are some incredibly talented individuals.  Looking though all the posts in here has inspired me to rebuild the install in my 99 Cobra show car.

Right now I have 2 L7 12s in a MDF box sealed into the spare tire well.  It was quite a chore manufacturing all of it out of wood, but I'm sure I'm not going to have much of an easier time doing all of it with fiberglass.  The problem I have right now is, even with the dynamatting inside the tire well outside my car you hear nothing, but ridiculous vibrations from the bottom of the car.

The major problem I think I'll encounter is space.  I have the 2 L7s, a Kicker 1200.1 amp, a kicker 400.4 amp, crossovers for all 4 front and rear component sets, a yellow top optima battery, and most of the parts of my air ride suspension.

Now, my idea.  Fiberglass the top half of a large beach ball, cut the holes for the L7s and the 1200.1 and mount them all in/on the beach ball.  I think it'll look really cool to have a round box with square subs instead of a square box with round subs.  This is my first attempt at fiberglass, so it's going to be interesting, but I've wanted a project for a while and this is a big one.  When finished I want to paint the box the same color as my car and use black carpet on the fiberglassing around everything else.

The link below my signature is a pic of my car, so you can see the color of the paint for when I'm finished.  I hope it works out well.  Right now I don't open my trunk at shows because it just isn't as nice looking as I'd like with all MDF and carpet.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/321_24655099742_710169742_711070_7071_n.jpg
Mike
mclovin2012 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  

I've been doing 70 hour work weeks lately on a special project, so I don't have a ton of time to work on this, but I got started today.  With the complexity of the box, I decided to start with a paper mache mold because it'll be easier to cut.  Here's how much I got done today.  After 8 layers of paper mache I'll pull the ball out, clear out the install I currently have in the trunk and start cutting the piece to fit.

fiberglass in 99 cobra trunk -- posted image.

Mike
mclovin2012 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
I cleared out the old install today. Took forever!! I found out the vibrations from the subs had actually caused a hole to form in the spare tire well, so it's a good thing I was already planning on fiberglass sealing all that off. I forgot how many wires I had back there!! Here's a couple pics of what I'm working with. That was a ton of MDF too!
Mike
mclovin2012 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, also cut the rings for the subs. Need to do 3 more layers of paper on the ball before I start cutting, then it's time to start the glass.
Mike
mclovin2012 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2012 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
Got the first layer of glass on and gonna try to get the second one on today. I'll post a pic again afterwards.
Mike
mclovin2012 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
Got another layer of glass on the ball, got the edge cut properly and fitted to the trunk, and patched the whole in the spare tire well.  I'm going to get the wood sometime this week hopefully and get some stuff put together on saturday.
Mike
mclovin2012 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2012 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

Got the felt on and glassed it.  Checked for fitment before going any further and did have to cut some off the bottom before I could get it in the car.

After that I added several layers and put it on an MDF base to screw into what I already built into the car.  It barely fit back into the trunk, but I'm okay with a tight fit.  In the morning I'll get the carpet on and wire everything up.  Can't wait to see how it sounds.

My first ever fiberglass attempt is almost complete. 

Mike
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2012 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
not bad sir not bad at all. my first thought was wow those are some OLD L7's, i thought they were kicker SOLO X's at first until i saw the L7 markings on them. and also those expensive kicker KS components, i havent seen a set of those in forever either.
mclovin2012 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2012 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
I was a top of the line stereo in 2005 lol.  I'm gonna have to face the subs normally though because I don't have space with the 3/4 inch of fiberglass and carpet.  Sucks, but I'm not about to rebuild everything.  Tomorrow I should have a picture with everything installed if I don't sleep in too late.
Mike
mclovin2012 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
Another speed bump today. Can't get a good seal around the subs with the carpet. I'm gonna get some rubber door seal and put around the edge, but I have to wait until pay day next week. Also, gonna use a different type of screw instead of phillips head to see if I can get it a little tighter.
Mike
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic