icon

2011 toyota camry, crimestopper rs4-g3

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2012 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
A key that only has a "dot" on it can use either the keyoverride-all or the keyoverride-sl2. Also, because its the "dot" key, the wires you will need in the car are at the steering column.
Don't even worry about the D2D port and the firmware of the crimestopper. Its only 4 wires to hook up between the bypass and the crimestopper when not using D2d and 2 wires to hook up if you were using D2D. So you would only be saving 2 connections(Power and Ground).
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2012 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  

You are lucky because the 40bit(or dot) key is a much simpler install for bypass. You could also use the Flashlogic FLTB1 as it comes with KO software for your car right out of the box. Here's one for under 35 bucks on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-FLTB1-Data-Transponder-Override/dp/B001RB1TZG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1330176330&sr=8-12

Here's a link to the guide. It states 2010 but it will work on the 2011 with 40bit just the same...

http://www.flashlogic.com/solutions-for-vehicle/6274

Also. i'm not sure if you are aware of this but you can avoid using a bypass altogether if you don't mind giving up your gray valet key. You can simply put it in a key coffin and be done with it...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
o.j. 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
mike, so what your saying is I can just install the crimestopper unit and be done as long as I dont mind sacrificing my valet key? that'd be great!!
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
Correct, you can fork up akey, but for the cost of a bypass it makes more sense to use one. Also you don't have to worry about it not starting in colder weather.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
Correct, you can fork up akey, but for the cost of a bypass it makes more sense to use one. Also you don't have to worry about it not starting in colder weather.
Ted
Compustar Expert
o.j. 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
i dont really have a need for the valet key do I? i have 2 regular keys now. my wife is the only one who drives it and the other key has been in a desk drawer since we bought the car. and why would it not start in cold weather? sorry for all the questions, just trying to do a good job and keep it simple and inexpensive. thanks for the help
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,791
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  

You can use a DEI 556UW ( or equivalent )  "key-in-the -box" universal bypass with your spare valet key.  As Ted points out, antenna placement is important for reliable operation.  Key placement inside the box is important, too.  Be sure to secure the key ( inside the box ) and antenna in place after doing many function tests. 

The other downside to a spare key hidden in the vehicle is the security risk it represents.  The $15 difference in price between an actual "data" type bypass module and a key-in-the-box ( with a $70 key inside ) makes the choice easy for most installers

Soldering is fun!
o.j. 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
ok, you've convinced me to do the transponder override. I'll order that and get back to you all. thanks for the help!!
o.j. 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

can you direct me as to where I can get 5 pin relay pigtails? the place i found on amazon was only 1$ ea but wanted like 12$ to ship..will a local radio shack carry them?

tedmond 
Posted: February 27, 2012 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
any local car shop, electronic parts retailer, auto parts or radioshack will have them.
Ted
Compustar Expert
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic