the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

PPI Black Ice Amp Review

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2012 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
fretfanaticno1 wrote:
Yeah you have a good point there.
Personally, I've always used 10's and 12's so I don't have any experience with bigger subs but if you reckon that amp could drive a bad boy like that, I'm booking my seat and some popcorn for that one! PPI Black Ice Amp Review - Page 3 -- posted image.
Hey, anyone had any experience with Hifonics amps? I'm hearing a lot of rave about those too.
i stay away from hifonics. their amps are cheap and they work (most of the time) but they arent built very well. their parent company maxxsonics is the reason for a lot of good brands being garbage now. they own MB Quart, Autotek, Crunch, and a whole host of other brands that used to be really good until maxxsonics bought them. you hear a lot of rave reviews because they are cheap and they work, but thats about all they have going for them right now.
fretfanaticno1 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2012 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
doodie man I can understand companies buying other companies but wth is the point in changing or rather degrading the quality of those products. It makes me so angry. PPI Black Ice Amp Review - Page 3 -- posted image.
At the end of the day their investments go for a ball of crap cos even if they own a brand like MB Quart (which was LEGENDARY for its quality) using lower grade parts or engineering or whatever, eventually NOBODY is gonna buy your rubbish product.
This is what happens when businessmen that don't give a 50 gauge wire about the industry get involved, they just want to monopolize everything to reap in profit. The only thing they're gonna profit from is scrapping metal.
Aaah, I feel better now.
audio1expert 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2013 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
I stumbled across this post in a google search. It makes me laugh when guys are stuck in the 90's and compare everything new to things in the 90's. Don't you think it's time to stop crying about everything being made in China? So Epsilon has good brands like Soundstream and PPI but you bash them for marketing other brands? Hmmm, Rockford has Renegade and Lightning....does that mean it's the same stuff as Rockford? I have personal experience with many of the new Soundstream and PPI products and I will tell you flat out they measure up to any other brand out there in terms of quality and performance. I have a Soundstream demo vehicle that I put together with 3 of the new Reference R1 12s and a 1700w Tower series amp that does over 150 decibels and is super clean tight bass. How about you guys stuck in the 90's actually own and try some of the new stuff before bashing it? Wouldn't that make more sense? I'm sure you think the cars from the 90's are better than today's cars too...LOL.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2013 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
hmm, not sure if that was directed at me or just said in general. ive only been doing audio since the mid 2000's so i dont have much experience with a lot of the older stuff. but even in that limited time frame ive seen the decline of of a lot of brands mainly due to being bought out by bigger companies who have no interest in making good produce and are mostly interested in the bottom line.
soundstream, PPI, both brands are basically copies of each other with the exception of a few different lines for each brand. power acoustic is another copy. each brand has some items that are good, most are average and other items are pure re-branded junk, example, power acoustic and soundstream radios and multimedia...total junk.
BTW, the PPI black ice amp i reviewed, ive had 2 out of 4 die for stupid reasons. the amp sounded great and put out the power it said it would but it simply didnt have the build quality of old PPI.
you say that SS and PPI measure up to any other brand out there? well i would say that most brands out there today, with the exception of maybe a top 15 or 20, are mid level at best.
lightning and renegade isnt the same as rockford and rockford makes sure not to put their name anywhere near those brands because rockford knows its junk. soundstream is the opposite, they take every level of product from low quality to high end and still label it as soundstream. the consequence of doing this is that more people get exposed to soundstreams cheap products and this influences the public opinion. most people just arent willing to sort through the good and the bad.
audio1expert 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
My comment was directed at everyone who reads or posts on this topic...nobody in particular. I am a professional who has been in the industry since the 90's so I have seen the complete evolution of every product line around. I sell nearly every good quality name brand product on the market today. I have sold over 200 soundstream and ppi amps this year and have not had a SINGLE amp returned. Maybe because I educate my customers (even the ones who think they know it all already). The #1 reason for amp failure is operator or installer error...here are the most common errors that I see before the education process with the customer:
1. Incorrect/inadequate power source (stock factory alternator on most cars is not capable of supplying a system of more than 600-800w TRUE RMS AT IDLE)
2. Poor choice of mounting location (not enough ventilation, too much vibration, etc. (mounting amp to box is NOT a good location!)
3. Ground wire too long (max length of ground for a powerful amp should be 18 inches at most)...also ground to painted metal surface is a poor ground.
4. Poor quality music source (AM/FM radio is NOT a clean source)
5. Incorrect setting for HPF or LPF frequencies on deck/amp or both
6. Incorrect Volume, EQ settings, or LOUDNESS turned on in deck
The biggest problem for so-called installers these days is that they have no REAL electrical training. 1 out of 50 actually knows what they need to know to do the job right. 1 out of 10 actually know the correct way to set GAIN....and 1 out of 100 actually put the customer in the driver's seat and explain the do's and don'ts regarding the head unit. The larger the amplifier, the more critical correct settings become.
Now this part is directed specifically at you....you mentioned brand names and bashed them because the parent company has other cheaper brands and I brought up Rockford/Lightning/Renegade. Your reply was that Rockford does not put their brand name on those products....not true....most of the new Renegade products have Rockford Corporation on the box in small writing. Soundstream/PPI does NOT do this... PPI and Soundstream are the premium brands of Epsilon and they do not imply that any other brands under the parent company are the same quality....and as you said....PPI/Soundstream are like Chevy and GMC with only basic cosmetic differences. However the PPI products are drastically under-rated whereas the Soundstream are only slightly under-rated. The 1800w BLACK ICE amp is the same amp internally as the 2000w Tarantula amp.
My point about people being stuck in the 90's is a good one. Amps were bigger, heavier, tougher looking, etc. However they were also extremely inefficient, had horrible crossover quality and a very high failure rate for the larger amps. I am in Arizona and sold MANY large Rockford amps. The failure rate was SO HIGH with the power supplies blowing up that we had to have a Rockford repair technician ON STAFF. On craigslist here, there are STILL several old Rockford Technicians fixing the older amps. The truth is that the failure rate was much higher on the older stuff (early 90's) than on today's newer stuff. Perfect example is the Rockford Prime line. Entry level yes, but ridiculously dependable.....actually the MOST DEPENDABLE product line from Rockford that I have EVER sold! The power-hogging inefficiency, poor crossovers, and THD of the older amps is what caused so many speaker and amp failures. It's like saying a Humvee H1 is better than a new Camry. Technology evolved, and BETTER ways were found to yield acceptable results. Costs dropped, efficiency increased, features multiplied and failures lessened. As a result, our expectations changed....we want it cheaper....we want it faster....we want the best service....BUT most of us are no longer willing to pay what we used to pay in the old days (about $1 per RMS watt). In short, THE CUSTOMER expectations/demands are what changed the industry.
People want Human Reign quality at the Picasso price (Soundstream) :)
Remember the muscle cars of the 60s and 70s? Compare them to the more practical cars of today.....which one would you rather drive 60 hours a month in heavy traffic?
About comparisons....
I love it when people compare their Rockford Power series or Kicker ZX series amp to the Soundstream Picasso line which is a third of the price. When making comparisons, people generalize WAY too much. You must compare apples to apples....you don't compare the GM Cadillac to the Chevy Sonic. If you want to compare the top of the line amp made by any manufacturer to any other manufacturer then in order to be fair you must compare to their top of the line amp as well. THEN compare the price. The Soundstream Reference series amps are rock solid as they have always been, very under-rated, and still cost less than comparable amps in other elite brands. You want a huge amp with super quality for competition use? Then look at the XXX or X3 amps that Soundstream makes.
I will tell you that when it comes to compact amplifiers, Soundstream is absolutely the best I have sold. The new Picasso Nano line (about the size of a VHS tape) is actually made in Korea and is UNKILLABLE. I have a customer who mistakenly ran a Picasso Nano 4-channel at 1.5 ohms per channel and the amp did not overheat or protect once in a month's use. Comparably, the new Rockford and Alpine ultra compact series amps are the WORST of all the amps they sell. The return rate on those is ridiculous and I refuse to sell them anymore. (The Kicker ultra tiny compact amp is excellent but not powerful enough yet)...am still judging the new IX line....looks promising.
Still not convinced about how Soundstream/PPI stack up to the competition? Then watch this montage video from the 2011 Spring Break Nationals where they DOMINATED all other brands in awards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScNjuzhNJAI
soundnsecurity 
Posted: August 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
yes, i cant argue with you, they make decent amps, but the rest of what they sell belongs at the pawn shop. back when these brands had their own identity that level of quality was spread our along their entire line, instead of now where the corporate giants focus on what that brand was mainly known for, ie. amps, speakers, subs, etc., and then filling out the rest of the line with whatever they can find to fit their price point. this arguably makes them a worse brand because more people will be exposed to that brands junk products than will be exposed to the good products. we installers have the luxury that most consumers dont have and that is to be exposed to everything and being able to decide for ourselves what is good.
now, with that being said, better is relative to your personal situation. if all you do is compete and run through lines then yea soundstream is a good brand because they make nice amps and subs. but, if you are an every day joe who bought one of their craptastic multimedia units and are now on your third one this year, soundstream isnt looking too good right now.
you said compare apples to apples, i am, you are only comparing a whole apple to a slice.
audio1expert 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hate to inform you but not only is Soundstream doing good...they are doing great! Won the Bruce Terrell award for 5 years straight and Team Soundstream/PPI has more trophies at the Spring Break Nationals than any other brand in the last 3 years. Soundstream has become a global brand....even sponsoring drift races in Japan.
I can't figure out if you are just talking to hear yourself talk, or maybe you have some strange bias?....or maybe you are judging an entire company on their entry level head units?....very strange....and how did we start talking about head units anyway? This thread was about amps, wasn't it?
Anyone who truly has experience with their new amps and subs knows that they have some of the best quality and best value in the industry.
I suppose you think MTX is a good brand too.
BTW loved that cheesy line about apple pie....what a joke.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: August 29, 2013 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
dude, are you even reading what i write or do you just see words on the screen and just think of my response as being something totally opposite to what you believe? i agreed with you about a few things and you just want to be a negative nancy.
yea soundstream and many other brands that i dont consider to be top notch are probably doing record sales and putting together some nice systems and going out and winning them some trophies. if popularity was directly related to quality then kicker and kenwood would be super high end and morel and focal would be pawn shop product.
this all started because someone was talking bad about a brand as a whole and you come in and make the argument that a brand is good because they sell good quality amps and subs that win shows and competitions. im not saying all of soundstream or any other brand is junk, i just said that a good bit of what they push IS junk. this is also why they are making so much money because they find this cookie cutter equipment, slap their name on it, and sell it for 6X what they paid for it and they dont have to make any investment on research and development or manufacturing facilities. they sell this cheap junk using the good name they created by selling the good stuff that they do actually design and manufacture and it brings the brand down as a whole.
MTX was a good brand, but they have been selling a bunch of junk too these last few years.
you have no reason to try to insult me or anybody else, the apple line was a metaphor, just like your "apples to apples" line, had nothing to do with apple pie, maybe you should read a little bit more before you try to take shots at people.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic