icon

can someone explain this wire test for me

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2012 at 5:39 AM / IP Logged  
Kevin, if you think about it there's no way pressing that button will unlock the car/disable the alarm without the RFI transponder present.
Also X 2 with soundnsecurity's post.
You know my views on amateur DIY = $$$$.
We used to have add/on alarm systems in the UK working via the factory remote, triggered by the indicators (lights) and door motor lock/unlock wires, nowadays through the data systems.
My though is if the OP is adding an alarm, then what's wrong with the factory unit?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2012 at 5:41 AM / IP Logged  
I've just re-read the OP, am I being obtuse here (I nearly said an idiot but that's copyrighted!) but what aftermarket alarm has a wired disable?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 03, 2012 at 5:56 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Kevin, if you think about it there's no way pressing that button will unlock the car/disable the alarm without the RFI transponder present.
I agree with this, but I bet that EVERY time you push the button it sends a signal to a controller that the button has been pushed. However, if no key is present the controller ignores the input. My point is that if he used this signal to disarm his alarm there would be no reference to the keyfob being present and that that would not be very secure.
Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2012 at 5:57 AM / IP Logged  
Agreed.
BrandonClaps 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2012 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your comments guys. The more I thought about this, I think you're right that the car does send the signal regardless if the remote fob is near the handle. (haven't confirmed) The new compustar alarms have a programmable arm/disarm wire input. If i hook that to the factory arm/disarm and use it as an output to the aftermarket alarm I wonder if that will work OK. I need to speak with their support to make sure that if I do wire it this way that there won't be an issue when/if i disarm using the factory/aftermarket remote getting a possible double signal to disarm or a double signal to arm.
Nothing wrong with the factory system, but want an aftermarket for the two way notification and distance. After further research of the RF module in the door it appears it is sending a data signal down the wire to the keyless brain in the car and thats why i'm seeing the 5v constant and a drop in voltage. Must be similar to canbus.
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2012 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
I could be wrong here but I was under the impression that factory arm/disarm on the vehicle is an input, not an output? I.E. Drivers key-cylinder would interact with the factory disarm wire to disarm the system.
As howie mentioned the stock systems would interface with the aftermarket via doorlock/marker lights to arm/disarm an aftermarket system.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic