icon

who makes a good head unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
My brother-in-law is looking for a new deck he really likes my old Eclipse. He wants something that sounds as good as it and with the build quality. Now that Eclipse is nothing like they used to be and Nak is done as far as I know.
I spent 500 back in the day for mine, so would he have to double that now to get a really good deck?
What head units should he look at?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2012 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
ive used JVC radios for the past few years. probably the best HU under $400. great quality for what you pay for. really clean sound and the higher models have nice audio features with good crossover settings and a nice EQ.
a lot of people here will tell you alpine too but ive never been a fan of alpine.they might still be good but i still feel that they have lost a lot of ground from where they used to be even though they still charge you like they are the best in the world.
kenwood is now owned by jvc so i dont think jvc is going to let kenwood out-shine jvc.
i steer clear of poineer even though they have good features they have chronic noise problems. they have a pure sound quality radio in their "stage 5" line of high end stuff and it has every possible feature imaginable for sound quality but it also retails for $1200.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
Ah - I remember the old Naka domestic cassette I always wanted to have... (I settled for a $1k Yamaha twin-deck instead.)
Lately I have been realising how good Alpine is.
Though always "told" about them, it wasn't until refitting my old Alpine after a year with cheap HUs that I realised the quality.
Even on its initial power-up default settings it blew away the equalised sound from the others. (Just as well, the faceplate is blown on that Alpine - that's why I eventually replaced it.)
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

Eclipse is just as done as Nak, and I just learned today that Boston Acoustic is now out of the Car Audio Market.  For 500 dollars today you can get a Double Din DVD player with a 7 inch screen as well as built in bluetooth as well as bluetooth streaming. 

As far as build quality and sound quality, at least look at the Alpine lineup.

If you do not want to take my and spark's word, check out the following link. https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~97511~PN~1

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
Great link IAAI! Maybe I should vote...?
Of course that just proves that Alpine is the cheapest around, hence its popularity.
(I'm, kidding! But IMO Alpine WERE expensive, whereas now I consider my "2nd model up from base" CD/Radio to be inexpensive, and certainly my minimum (but excellent) baseline. I've also had Pioneer, Kenwood, Stirling.)
And though I hear or read various recommendations, what strikes me is the number I know that truly appreciate music & sound that also recommend Alpine. And never any negative - except for a recent "Alpine has the least features" - not that I noted any lacking.
dragon51 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks your just the people I wanted to chime in on this. Ah my first deck was a pull out tape deck made by Nak RD4602 if I remember right. My brother has is now in storage somewhere.
JVC really, ok I will have him look at them. Never been a fan of Alpine even the older stuff, then again I had my Eclipse.
dragon51 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
I meant I did not want just a bunch of random post saying stuff like Sony Explode ,I place more value in people who know their stuff.
dragon51 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
Been trying to find out more about my Nak RD-460 I just found a pic of it yep its the one I have. Found some one trying to get $550 for it wow!
Its still that good?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2012 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
dragon51 wrote:
JVC really, ok I will have him look at them.
yea it seems strange but they have been making some really nice stuff lately(radios only)im not saying its the best but its up there. a lot of companies now wont make a decent single din, they build their high end features into their tv and navi units to try and get that extra money out of you. a lot of brands will sell their top of the line unit with every thinkable feature for audio playback like USB, iphone app streaming, bluetooth streaming, etc, but those will still only have slightly better than average sound quality features maybe because they know that 99% of people will be listening to compressed audio formats anyway so why bother with sound quality features because it will make compressed formats actually sound worse.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2012 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
I also mourn the loss of Nakamichi and Eclipse, and also McIntosh and the quality that making those heads for Mc filtered into the old Clarions.  I still think high-end Alpine heads have outstanding SQ, and the Excelleons are not bad.  Blaupunkt is coming back with a line of higher-end head units that should sound good, but only time will tell.  I am not a fan of JVC although I must admit I haven't even touched anything from them in years.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic