ran power wire now i got error lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
tbird2340 wrote:
The Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensor is installed on the upper end of the accelerator pedal assembly. The sensor detects the accelerator position and sends a signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). 
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
tbird2340 wrote:
LOL. Thanks!
So the APP module is on the pedal than.
Yes. It is more a pedal though and less a module. As I said before it is just two potentiometers that turn the position of the pedal in to two voltages.
Kevin Pierson
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Altima/2008/ec.pdf
'08 Altima factory service manual, engine controls.
start at page 420, break out the multimeter, there will be testing to do.
Mark
tbird2340 
Copper - Posts: 363
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks a lot for that manual.. I think this is too much for me.. :(
The manual says connector E40 but doesn't even say where or what it looks like..
I mean, I've done around 40 remote starts but I don't think I can do this.. I mean, unless someone thinks it can be something besides a nicked / cut wire because if it is all this testing is for not, right?
I was only in that one area near the grommet / firewall.. I only unplugged and unscrewed modules that were attached to the bottom panel under the steering wheel..
Someone on another forum said it may be $2,000 because they won't replace / fix the wire(s) with the problem. That they have to replace the entire harness.. I feel like I'm going to puke!
KPierson 
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
What part of Ohio are you in?
Dealerships typically won't do troubleshooting down to the individual wire, however, auto mechanics will. In all reality this isn't that complicated. Find the wire diagram for the APP - there should be 6 wires - 2 that are 12vdc, 2 that are ground, and 2 that are the signal back to the ECU. Measure all voltages at the APP with everything plugged in and with the ignition on. You should have 12vdc on the 12vdc wires, the grounds should be grounded, and the signals should change as you push the pedal down (remember ignition on, engine off). The point here is to find out where the problem exists. If everything tests find then the next step is to go to the ECU and measure the two APP signals at the ECU. Hopefully, by this point you have found an issue - if not there could be a damaged APP or ECU.
My only word of caution is that a drive by wire system is critical to the safety of the vehicle. If you feel like you are in over your head take it to someone who can diagnose it and fix it properly. The salvation here is that DBW systems are designed by the factory to be fail safe and the overall risk, even in a complete system failure, is really low (thanks to limp mode).
If you find that there is a wiring issue I would run new wire unless you can find exactly where the wire was damaged (which I would think would be unlikely). Check out what kind of wiring the factory used and mimic it (ie if they used 3 conductor shielded cable or a twisted pair or whatever use the same setup). The system is very particular to noise and voltage drop as the two voltages generated by the APP are constantly being compared to each other to detect system failures.
Lastly, the service manual has ALL the info you need, you just need to dig around for it. Typically there is a pg.pdf file that shows you were all the harnesses are in the car. The newer style manual is much more difficult to use the the early 2000 manuals.
Kevin Pierson
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
I'm in the Youngstown area.. How about you?
Know any good mom and pop shop mechanics?
KPierson 
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
Dayton - It would be hard to be further apart and still be in the same state!
I don't know of any shops over that direction.
Kevin Pierson
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
:(
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 7:01 AM / IP Logged  
You say to run tests with the ignition on but the engine off / car not running..
How do I do this with a push to start?
Thanks
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
To turn the ignition on without starting the car, Don't put your foot on the brake. Then press the start button twice. First press is accessory, second press is ignition. To turn off ignition, press button a third time again all without your foot on the brake.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic