icon

using stock horns instead of siren?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
duffmanrha 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2012 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
Been lurking for a long time and learned a lot, but need some help finally myself! I have a 99 Cobra and it has a Ford alarm kit on it, and uses a regular 6-tone siren with just a +12V and ground, which connects to the alarm unit. If I want to get rid of that and use the horns, what would be the best way to do this? Would I need to use a flasher, meaning if I just hooked the horns up to the siren outputs then the horns would just sit and blare continuously instead of honking, right? I'm quite familiar with basic electronics like relays, flashers, etc. so I know how to wire up the components, just not WHICH components to use (or not use) in order to achieve what I am trying to do. Thanks so much!
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
If the unit can be programmed to a pulsed siren output, you won't need a flasher, depending on the polarity of the output you may have to invert the polarity.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2012 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  
The Ford kit is really and old style Code Alarm unit with a Ford name on it. It has a horn output but i don't remember what color it is. It directly connects to the horn. A lot of those units had the wiring diagram pasted right on the side of the brain...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,427
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
From what I remember the horn wire from the module is brown and I believe its in the middle harness
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
duffmanrha 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for the late reply, wasn't able to connect for some reason until now.
The control module isn't terribly accessible so if I can't get to it or if it doesn't work properly, I had an alternate idea instead. Could I use a regular automotive flasher and run it inline with the +12V that goes to the alarm siren/horn? Would it :
a) work correctly, or work at all?
b) still work as normal with just a single honk when arming/disarming
c) if the alarm goes off, would it just honk the horn in the same interval as that particular flasher would do to a turn signal?
Thanks so much!
Eric

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic