icon

security, remote start choices

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
paul h 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  

I've been using Autopage alams for quite awhile but in the past couple years I have had a handful of the units go bad, ranging from several models of 2-way and basic units. 

Been thinking of looking at more brands to use & install and wanted some general opinions here from people.  My biggest deals is 2-way...I like the Avital/Python and Vipers but the V turns into more $$...is it worth it??  What about compustar or Code Alarm stuff??  Worth a darn??

Like I said...just trying to get some general feel for whats out there.  I need to find a 2-way unit that is 2-car capable to get mine done first and it will give me something to play with as well.

Also...on these choices, something that plays nice with modules would be great!!

Thanks ya'll

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
You get exactly what you pay for, more range and module reliability = more $.
Most of the Vipers, Pythons and Clifford apart from Clifford G5 product are just badge engineered clones.
Forget Avital and Hornet if you want range and convenience features.
Personally I'd go for Compustar or the A/vox Prestige kit.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
ive been installing prestige alarms for about 2 years now. havent had many go bad but they have reception and range issues and have problems with interference. the 2-way alarms are ok on their range but the transmitters are slow, meaning when you send a command the car might respond instantly but the keypad itself wont show you that anything happened until later. ive only had to replace one or two of them due to defects, the last one lost an accessory output which cause the remote start to fail. one big downfall to the model i use most is that it is not made to be installed on a manual transmission. no neutral safety wire at all.
cmk0808ny 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2012 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
I have switched over to compustar. I used to install dei all the time since I started in 2004, but lately reliability and quality control issues made me switch over. I have installed audiovox, autopage and ultra start and I think the compustar fit the needs of my customers best. They are a little more expensive but they are more of an a la carte deal rather than a preset package.
cmk0808ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
btw- the range of the compustar is very reliable. I have the 1wg5ss remote on my car and it has the mile range, I have not found a spot where the car has not remote started with in reason.
paul h 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2012 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replies.  I've been told by a few others to just stick with the Prestige stuff and stay away from avital...although I like the looks of their remotes better....kina sucks their quality isn't as good.  Code Alarm is out I've also been told....

Thanks again for the posts!!

dswift 
Copper - Posts: 396
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
Compustar all the way! You guys use the new DAS sensor yet? Pretty nifty for a fail safe device for a manual transmission vehicle.
It has a built in accelerometer so when and if the car is in gear, as soon as it jumps the starter shuts down. Very cool.
"dont ground out!"
cmk0808ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
Compustar is great especially with the blade. I'd keep looking, audiovox as someone said before ha had some range, reception and interference problems. The compustar is very rock solid. Try one out and see for yourself. I used to be a DEI everything guy but the problems DEI is having lately made me switch and there is no looking back!
bad_dude 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2012 at 3:05 AM / IP Logged  
cmk0808ny wrote:
Compustar is great especially with the blade. I'd keep looking, audiovox as someone said before ha had some range, reception and interference problems. The compustar is very rock solid. Try one out and see for yourself. I used to be a DEI everything guy but the problems DEI is having lately made me switch and there is no looking back!
What kind of problems? I am considering the Viper 350 Responder or the Avital 5303. But why is Avital bad?
Thanks.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2012 at 3:18 AM / IP Logged  
You get what you pay for.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic