icon

99 f-350, python 991 and not starting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hotairgypsy 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2012 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
I used to install professionally so i know my way around the alarm for the most part. I am installing a python 991 in a 99 F350 diesel. Have the dash out to route all my wiring nicely and now in the testing phase. I am noticing some things I am not sure what you do about them. When i try to remote start it i get the error and it flashes 8 times. Well the truck is an automatic and I have re grounded the neutral safety wire twice and still getting the same error. I am going through the programming and I feel my changes in the programming are not taking. The instructions don't tell you how to save your changes. so i get to the programming of the tranny and select automatic but no clue how to save it. I have tried every combo i can think of and nothing i am doing is working. I have tried reprogramming the truck to auto rearm with locking to test to see if my changes are taking and still i have no idea how to save. tried to do the lock/unlock with the key and same thing...so i am missing some step but do not know which one or did i miss a wire in order for things to save or be allowed to be saved. any input would be greatly appreciated.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
I thought 7 flashes was manual to auto look at your install manual again.
tony_g 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  

when you make changes to the programming menu and finish does the siren briefly sound when you either wait 30 seconds, turn ignition on or close door? and is the toggle switch connected and in the on position?

any changes made in the menu dont need a routine for saving it should just change as to what you are selecting and stay on  that feature until you either change it again intentionally or reset the brain completely

hotairgypsy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
so i now know my changes are taking place. I programmed it to auto arm without locking and it is working...i did set it to automatic but still getting 8 flashes...i did program it to lock/unlock with ignition but it doesnt lock when key is turned on...i am betting it is a time delay thing for locking. i can see it unlocking when i turn the key off. One thing i still need to figure out is the dome light. I do have the thing where the dome light kicks on when you turn the key off and stay on while exiting truck. This of course is causing my alarm to tell me door open unless i wait for the dome light to turn off. I know i can do some stuff in the wiring but to be honest it has been a while since I have worked with that function so would need some guidance to do it. I know it is positive triggered...
hotairgypsy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2012 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
I thought 7 flashes was manual to auto look at your install manual again.
this is directly from the manual
Remote starting diagnostics
When the remote start function is activated and the 2-way remote emits an error
tone; you have the ability to see what the cause of the no-start situation is by
counting the amount of flashes of the parking lights from the vehicle.
5 flashes Brake wire is active
6 flashes Hoodpin wire is active
7 flashes Manual transmission mode is enabled and not
initialized.
8 flashes Neutral safety wire has no ground or the neutral safety
switch is Off.
tony_g 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

you said you grounded the neutral safety wire but is the toggle switch plugged in and turned on.

i get 8 flashes on my 5701 when its turned off or not connected and its the same on my brothers 5704 and the 991 is the same shared platform just under a different name

tony_g 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2012 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE=hotairgypsy] I do have the thing where the dome light kicks on when you turn the key off and stay on while exiting truck. This of course is causing my alarm to tell me door open unless i wait for the dome light to turn off.QUOTE]

if you wire to the domelight for sensing opened doors when armed you will always get this warning upon arming,the system will still be protected and monitoring all the other inputs and when the domelights turn off it will see this and then monitor the doors.

if you dont want this then you can wire the door trigger wire to the individual doors but it takes a bit more time for double diode isolating each doorpin wire and the bcm to prevent false triggers

hotairgypsy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2012 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
tony_g wrote:

you said you grounded the neutral safety wire but is the toggle switch plugged in and turned on.

i get 8 flashes on my 5701 when its turned off or not connected and its the same on my brothers 5704 and the 991 is the same shared platform just under a different name

maybe we are on to something...the single mechanical switch is plugged in and I have it set of off...do not know when way this need to be set by default...i will head to the manual to sort that out
hotairgypsy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2012 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
just came in from testing and the switch was in the wrong position...i flipped it and not is was attempting. still didnt start yet but getting closer...now it cranked for like a second or two and stopped...got a three flasher so gonna do some reading on it now...will keep ya posted...think it is a timing thing ...just a program adjusting i hope...will update tomorrow...thanks for the help so far...
tony_g 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2012 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  

ive forgotten about the switch a few times lol easy to overlook when your getting ready to test it for the first time

the 3 flashes is for low or no rpm.

wiring info for your year shows WHITE/ pink for tach at  pin 19 of bcm

up here in the wonderfull cold climate of canada i tend to use tach sensing over voltage as its more reliable in winter when the battery is less than optimal and it always starts first time.

have you connected the brains tach wire and learned tach?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic