icon

door power lock side effect

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Plus on the Vauxhal/Opel Astras (Saturn Astra) we do indicators, not lights but they are the same wires on those vehicles.
There are 4 from the front fuse box/multifunction module and two more from the rear fb/mf module, even the (12V+) brake wire is at the rear.
You have to strip out the battery and the front fuse box to get at them, the only other way is a CAN converter, except there weren't any in Europe at the time, 05 on.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

i know car companies hate us aftermarket installers but that's crossing the line. i swear they do it on purpose. luckily i dont do very many alarms anymore (which is a problem because i need to keep up with this foolishness). back when i was doing 2-3 alarms a day i was still learning to do them so most of my horror stories are due to a lack of technical know-how/someone to train me. things that stumped me back then, like taking hours looking for lock wires because nobody told me i had to test from the lock cylinder with the key, those are my horror stories. luckily i managed to avoid destroying anyones car, but there were a few close calls.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
We've all been there, about 3 years ago I was in the middle of a 40+ vehicle tracking contract.
Get to a Peugeot 308 Estate (an rather inferior Focus/Golf), the install wasn't right and I noticed the Parrot install was rubbish.
I spend an hour attacking the dashboard going nowhere, I can't get the h/unit out using extractor keys, that should have been a warning sign as in go no further, but no I try to see if it prises out like a Toyota, crack, right in the corner of the Sat display above the head unit.
I get a bill for £700 ($1050).
The irony is I eventually went to the rear behind the wheel arch, flat mounting surface, a power outlet for constant and ground and a cargo area dome light which shut down after 10 minutes on a sleep cycle as ignition.
Install time 5 minutes. Ah well live and learn.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2012 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
worst thing ive ever messed up was bending a back door on a 05 ford explorer almost backwards while backing out of the garage. a co-worker opened the door to find something while i wasnt paying attention and i was looking the opposite way when i was backing up. try explaining something like that to your boss door power lock side effect - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. but amazingly enough i didnt get fired.
worst thing ive damaged with an alarm was a 04 ford F150, i tapped into what i thought was a doorpin wire and it turned out to be something to do with the fuel system. this fried some control module and made the truck act like it was out of gas even though the tank was full. i have very bad luck with fords for some reason.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2012 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
The problem over here with Fords is that they seem to change their wiring loom colours every three years also duplication, the original Transit connect (we are one shape ahead of you) had 3 BLACK/ blue wires in the right hand floor loom, one was the all door trigger.
French and Italian cars are a pain, poor quality and lousy electrics we call them crap (Citroen, Renault and Peugeot).
Chrysler part of Fiat? A marriage made in rust hell.
Audis are too fiddly with illogical electrics.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: July 22, 2012 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
yea, the color duplication in fords is what lead to my F150 fuel system misshap. funny thing was that i actually did test the wire and found the door trigger but when it came time to hook it up i must have grabbed the wrong wire because there were several BLACK/ blue wires in the same spot.
hmm, poor quality and lousy electrics, i call that any GM made car over here. the only cars that routinely go dead and need to be jumped after about an hour with just the key on and everything else turned off (radio, lights, AC, etc.)even the heavy duty trucks still dont last long without the engine running. i just dont understand what could possibly be drawing that much current with every convenience feature turned off. and what astounds me the most about it is that its been the same way since the mid 90's and they still wont fix a simple battery issue. totally pathetic and GM will never get a dime of my money.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
All North American GM electrics have been made in CHINA for the last 10 years.
By the way on English Fords*, I call this the BLACK/ blue wire syndrome!
*Yes designed in England but nowadays only engines and gearboxes, but even the 4 cylinder gasoline engines are Mazda designs.
We still build just as many cars in the UK, Jaguar/Range Rover uses a much modded Mustang V8 engine and Indian owned, Hondas, Nissans and Toyotas.
Except the Focus RS/Cosworth used a Volvo 5 cyl turbo engine with Volvo ignition/starter also used on Land Rover Freelander and Disco, what fun selecting a by-pass, DEI Europe gave up on that one we have to import from Fortin as a Volvo V60door power lock side effect - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2012 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
And just to add to the confusion, I own an English rover car, it's effectively a 5 Series Tourer with front wheel drive and the V6 engine from the Legend with BMW electrics.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: July 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like an identity crisis to me.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2012 at 2:36 AM / IP Logged  
Do you really want to go into the South American and Australian variations?
The whole world's gone mad.
Steyr in Austria, nice assault rifles (Die Hard l), G Wagons for Mercedes, then Chrysler for Europe, plus my old trusty wall voltage drill.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic