icon

mix speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2012 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
The New Alpine Amps has those Specs(2-4 Ohm)... The PDX-5, i believe, is an old part #... http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdx-v9/Specs
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2012 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
PDX-V9 and PDX-5 are two different models, yes.
Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 08, 2012 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
The original PDX-5 and all of the PDX multichannel amplifiers are 2 ohm stable. Granted they claim no more power into 2 than 4, they are all capable of driving 2 ohm loads.
cobraguy 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2012 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
I have been trying like crazy to find my original manual and paperwork. I SWEAR it states my amp is usable with 2 or 4 ohm speakers on all channels. That is the reason I bought it...I didn't want to have to go in and replace all the speakers in the car. I believe Alpine has changed the wording since I bought mine two or three years ago.
cobraguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2012 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
I can't say enough what a great help you have all been. Thanks again!
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2012 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
Did you find your problem?
Support the12volt.com
cobraguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2012 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
I am so embarrassed...I've only started to look at it. I have two other projects I need to get completed so I have room to work on that one. But I know exactly where I'm going to look from the suggestions here. I too suspect it's the rca's. I will post up the answer once I find it. Problem is, it's not constant. It comes and goes. Seems to happen when you hit a bump. But I'll find it.
cobraguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2012 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
Finally an update. First...I found the original data sheet and instructions to my PDX-5. It indeed is fully rated for 2 ohm speakers across the board. Nowhere does it differentiate between subwoofer and other speakers. Which is why I bought it in the first place as the 'Benz uses 2 ohm speakers and I wanted to keep them.
Next, what I did was swap the rca's from the head unit into the amp to see if the problem followed to the other speaker. It did. So I knew the problem was before the amp. I pulled the head unit out of the car and totally removed the wires from the connector that are used for powering speakers without an amp. I had them all cut to different lengths and taped off, but you never know. Then I rearranged the wiring behind the head unit. My rca's were already taped. I bolted it back together. It's been several days now and not a peep of noise. Not sure exactly what the problem was, but as long as it's gone, I am one happy camper. Thanks for all the help.
DYohn 
Posted: September 08, 2012 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
Excellent, glad you got it figured out.  And a lesson for everyone in the importance of a proper installation job!  mix speakers? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic