the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1999 dodge ram viper 5704

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,789
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
The Viper and it's alarm sensors are not my usual brand, sorry.  I wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.  Hopefully another forum member can supply the answer you seek.
Soldering is fun!
uf-engineer 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

Okay. Thanks Kreg. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.

Mike

chuck216 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2012 at 2:36 AM / IP Logged  
Hey UF. I installed a 5704 in my 2004 Explorer yesterday and today, and I think I can answer at least one of your questions:
I was also concerned about the zone 4 sensor input not working without a bitwriter. I'm using the 2-stage motion detector rather than a glass break sensor, since I'm also using a Piezo, and i've heard that those don't mix well with the glass break sensor. The port actually isn't disabled by default, even though it says it's off. It alarms on my 2-stage properly, but the remote just reads "Warn Sensor 2" or "Alarm Sensor 2". I'd imagine with the bitwriter, it would read "Glass Break" or something similar if set to that type. You could also add as many additional sensors as you'd like by cutting the harness at the "Brain" end and splicing into the same colored wires on another sensor, but from what I understand, you'd have to diode isolate the green and blue wires to prevent false alarms.
The install guide is a little confusing. It kind of looks like all the menu items might be bitwriter only options, since they're all listed beneath it, but in actuality, only the first menu listed under bitwriter only is so, all the rest of the menus can be accessed via remote control - control button - siren chirp kung-fu moves. It will take you several attempts to get the feel for the menus... Trust me on that one :)
chuck216 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2012 at 2:53 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, just thought of this as well: The RF antenna unit has the control button for the system as well as the LED status light, so you probably want to have that somewhere visible.
I like the deterrence factor of having a visible LED in the vehicle, Especially when it's not just the standard blinky red deal. The 5704 has a super-bright blue LED that looks pretty sweet, plus having it on some crazy gadget with antennas is at least going to tell a would-be thief that there's something more than a budget el-cheapo alarm in this car.
Also, that unit has the control button, which is necessary for linking your remotes, programming the system, learning the tach and all that type stuff, so you at least want to have it somewhere where you can reach it to do all this.
It seems the common spot for this is up on the headliner or on the windshield above the rear-view. I actually installed mine top center of the dash right above where the trim bezel for the stereo snaps in. My Explorer has some things at the top-center of the windshield that makes it a "less-than-optimal" spot for it, and i figure with my truck, the top of the dash gets it at least as high as the windshield in most cars. It's still a fresh install and there's much tweaking to be done, so I'll have to see how it plays out on the range. I'm rarely more than 1 mile away from my vehicle, so I expect I'll be fine in that regard.
Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about this particular alarm. I'm by no means an expert, but I did research extensively before my install and I'm happy to pass along anything I've learned about this system. I can't speak to your specific vehicle, but I'm happy to try to help you figure it out.
uf-engineer 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Chuck

The glass break came with a why harness which allows you to connect both double shock & glass break sensor together. I get a senosr alart when either sensor is triggered. I mounted the RF just below the rear view mirror. It seem to be working just fine.

I also installed the window module which is a nice feature. I get you with the programming. It takes some getting use to but once you figure it out it's not to bad.

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic