the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

proper sq setup?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
another big thing that you need to think of is the actual position of the mids. you say that they are lacking so that could have a lot to do with how they are aimed. or possibly cancellation due to a vibrating door panel or door skin. a lot of things can affect the mids performance other than the quality of the mid.
im not sure how the doors of your tacoma are designed but if they are anything like my frontier then they could definitely benefit from some sound dampening.
mondata 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
another big thing that you need to think of is the actual position of the mids. you say that they are lacking so that could have a lot to do with how they are aimed. or possibly cancellation due to a vibrating door panel or door skin. a lot of things can affect the mids performance other than the quality of the mid.
im not sure how the doors of your tacoma are designed but if they are anything like my frontier then they could definitely benefit from some sound dampening.
Yeah they are setup just like your frontier. I had a frontier before I got the tacoma. I have all four doors covered with sound dampening material and baffles installed on the back of the front speakers. Not sure what I can do beside find some Q-forms for it. What does your setup look like?
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
JVC navi up front with built in 13 band EQ and time alignment, running to a kicker electronic 3-way crossover sending signal to an alpine PDX 4 channel amp. the speakers are diamond audio HEX pro components, the tweeters are ran off of 2 channels and the mids are ran off of the other 2 channels.
everything is adjusted through the kicker crossover because i didnt have space for the giant crossovers that came with my component set. but, this give me the bonus of being able to choose whatever crossover point sounds best. the bad thing was that i also couldnt find anything about the recommended crossover point so it was a lot of trial and error and careful listening to make sure my tweeters would be ok being crossed over at around 2000Hz. i got the components on a serious deal and normally they cost around $900 at dealer cost so i was pretty nervous about blowing them but 1 year later they are still alive.
a final solution for the bass is still being worked on but right now im using a 15" SXX from RE audio in a box that takes up the whole back seat. im in the market for something better that doesnt take such a big box to get the sound i want.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
have you tried not using those baffles behind the speakers?
mondata 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
have you tried not using those baffles behind the speakers?
Not with this particular pair of speakers but in my experience the baffles tend to make them hit harder. They are not air tight or anything. Just mainly there to keep the dirt and grime off of them.
I have never owned a pair but I hear good things about Diamond Audio products. Who else do you like or at least have heard good things about.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
ive had mixed results with those baffles. it could be that the baffles are creating a response peak close to the frequencies that you actually want to have more of. if this is the case then it might not be that you lack mid bass but that you have too much of something else which is keeping you from being able to turn it up enough to hear the mid bass. kind of how having too much bass will make it seem like your highs are not loud enough even though they are screaming at you. your ears will naturally gravitate toward hearing the louder sounds so if your sound is not balanced then your lack of mid bass could just be your ears playing tricks on you.
are you using any kind of equalizer?
mondata 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
Right now I am just using the built in 5 band equalizer on the head unit. Got both the low and high pass crossovers set on the HU at 100 hz and have the crossovers on the amps bypassed. Again, not looking to win any competition just would like a better overall response. I listen to a lot of Rock and also a ton of acoustic depending on my mood. No rap.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
you also might benefit from a more powerful amp. a typical 200x4 will only give you about 20 watts per channel if you are using 4 ohm speakers. this might also be part of your problem because lower frequencies usually need more power to be reproduced.
mondata 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2012 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Would I notice a difference in SQ between these:
What I have now: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Speakers/6.5%27%27_Oversized_n_6.5%27%27_Speakers/KFC-P709PS
What I am looking at (I can get a near-mint set for $140.00)
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9623-esk-165-hertz-65-energy-2-way-component-system.aspx
If someone knows of another set for around 200ish and thinks they are much better for the money let me know. I like a lot of acoustic stuff so looking for crisp sound but not harsh.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic