icon

2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
krush 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2012 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
Picked up a pair of JL 8" inch fine mess grills from a local shop to use to make snap grill covers for the pods.
I will take a lot of pics and do a step by step on making the snap grill. I though of this idea back in the days of when i was putting 4 EV-10's in the decks of my car. ahhh the good old days!!!!!....
The best tool in my work shop, is my BRAIN!!!!
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2012 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects - Page 2 -- posted image.
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

VERY NICE WORK!2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects - Page 2 -- posted image.

I look forward to the grill how to...I'm in the process of brainstorming how and what to make matching grills for my future system in my Magnum.

I like your signature too....its true for me too....don't have the right tool?...make one or make one work!

Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2012 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
definitely nice work. they are basically the same as the pods i made for my frontier, mine are just a little smaller and i made the base out of wood instead of all glass. ill post a pic of mine once i get back to my own computer. sometime in the near future im planning to build a whole new center console because im tired of how the stock console looks and operates.
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2012 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
hi guy sorry i haven't post the grill how to...... sandy left me in the dark for a week. Just got power up/running a few days ago and still cleaning up the damage to the house. Need to d-stress from sandy so i should be back at it tomorrow. :)
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2012 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

Damn... sorry to hear Sandy hit you hard. Glad your ok. I live across the way in Slower Lower Delaware and we had some pretty bad flooding but nothing like Jersey.

Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2012 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
tweeter pods in my frontier. diamond audio HEX pro tweeters, they are i think 1.5 inch aluminum dome tweeters. i made it hug the dash because i only wanted to use one screw to mount it to the pillar. i eventually want to mold the pods into the pillars.
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2012 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for the delay..... had a lot going on the home front.
So here is a pic of the finish formed grill, just needs some paint and may fiberglass the two ends. Sorry they were taken at night.
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2012 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
First start with the outer molding press. Round is the simplest to make but you can do this for almost any shapes.
1) Start by measuring the area you want to cover with the grill. In my case is was 3.75" Diameter edge to edge of the pod.
2) Next you need to transfer that diameter but a 1/16 or 1/8 smaller on all sides then the size of the grill you need to a piece of hard plywood for the outer grill mold press and cut it out using a router, hole-saw or jigsaw if its a different shape (don't know if mdf would work because of the softness of the wood).
3) Now that you have the outer mold, you will need the inner mold. From the origal measurement tranfer the shape 1/8 to 3/16 smaller (this is to compensate for the grill thickness) to a hard wood and cut out.
4) Next mask up the grill peace you intend to use and draw the shape 1/6 or 1/8 smaller. Also draw a border of the shape on the out side to the same size to the depth you need. In my case it was 1/2 inch.
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
5) after you draw the template to the grill, cut the shape out with metal shears (the grill should be thin enough so you don't need any power tools) Don't for get to cut on the outer border and cut rite to the line.
here is a pic of the back side so you can see the V cuts round the edge
6) now you need to line up the grill piece to the mold press
use a piece of scape wood larger than the mold shape on the bottom.
side pic of my mold press lined up
After that get out a good clamp. And just clamp press the top mold thru.( may need more clamps or need to shift the clamp so the top mold presses thru evenly.
Finally tap or hammer the top mold all the way thru and remove the molded grill.
This method will work for teardrop, square, round, trapezoid, oval shape perfectly.
If you guys need help or have question email me.......
This should be a major game changer in kick & door panels as well as sub boxes grill design.
Next I will do a video on YouTube for a teardrop grill mold for a kick-panel. And if any 2 star and up member wants the teardrop Mold Press after i make the video email me. And no i will not charge for it. Just put it to good use ( membership has its rewarded lol )
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic