comfort closure and viper

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
manswers 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2012 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all,
This is regarding comfort closure feature through viper 5704 remote start on the Acura MDX 2012.
I got a Viper 5704 Remote installed along with SmartStart GPS VSM250. My installer used a iDatalink ADS-AL-CA bypass module.
The remote start and the smartstart is working fine as expected.
However he is trying to make the the Comfort Closure work, and its giving him a hard time. To begin with, my MDX does have the option to roll up/down the window via the door key lock by turning clockwise and counter clockwise respectively.
This is what he has done until now *in his words* Recorded his voice with his permission to post the context on what he did.
"Hardwired the lock wire in the door and the factory alarm in the door, when connected togather the doors lock, but the windows dont roll up, when disconnected and lock using the viper remote the windows roll up, when the lock and the arm are connected the doors lock but the window dont roll up, And when Disconnect the lock wire, ofcourse the doors dont lock but the windows roll up.
Tried a few other congurations such as double dioding the lock arm wire from the alarm remote start, adding a relay to produce more ground, putting the armed wire, umm factory armed wire on the viper armed wire directly and putting the lock on the relay vice-versa still did not work".
Whats the right approach to make the comfort closure work for the Acura MDX 2012 model with Viper 5704 remote start?
Primarily i would like the windows and moonroof to automatically roll up when arming/locking the car, and pull it back down/unroll on demand through the viper remote.
Please guide, is there a guide, wiring diagram, or any help in this matter will be great.
My brand new car is open up from the dashboard and the door panel, something needs to be done soon. :(
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2012 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged  
Search for this topic in the archives, I don't know the correct answer but it comes up quite regularly.
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2012 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
The lock wire has to be connected directly in the driver's door. The Comfort Closure feature must be enabled on the Viper system. The MDX expects to see an extended lock signal in order for the windows to close and the same with the unlock wire.
Another option is to connect 2 Aux Output wires, one to the lock and one to the unlock wires in the door and let the idatalink module take care of the locks via data and use the Aux Outputs to control the comfort closure.
As for the sunroof, I don't think the comfort closure will work with that. You may have to get a window module for that to work.
If the installer doesn't know that, he shouldn't be touching your car. Honda/Acura has had comfort closure for years!!
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
I looked at the wire diagrams and although I haven't done a MDX personally this way, I have done it on other Honda's.
Ok, so the doorlocks are Positive and in the door. So he has to use relays to convert the negative door lock signal from the 5704 to Positive. On the Lock wire coming from the 5704 have him split the Negative signal with Diodes. One of the splits will continue on to trigger his relay and the relay Positive Output would connect to the door lock wire of the MDX. The other split will goto the MDX Arm wire. He will set the the Comfort Closure option on the 5704 to "Comfort Closure 1" That should roll up the windows upon lock automatically.
As for unlock, the unlock wire on the 5704 will go straight to his relay converting his unlock signal to a positive and his relay output will connect to the MDX's unlock wire
As for disarm and window roll down, He will run form the 5704 both the disarm wire and an AUX wire and connect both of them directly to the disarm wire on the MDX. The AUX channel he uses needs to be set for "Validity" if you want to control how far down the window goes. The longer you hold the AUX button the more it rolls down. Or, set the AUX to "Timed" and have him program how long it takes to roll down the window completely into the 5704. Then the windows will roll down fully with just a press of the AUX, no need to hold the button down.
Once wired, Window roll up would work automatically with lock. But for window roll down, you will need to unlock the doors first then hit your AUX button to control the windows.
The 4 wires in the MDX that you need to interface with are:
Power Lock     pink     +     driver door lock switch, green 5 pin plug, pin 4
Power Unlock     red     +     driver door lock switch, green 5 pin plug, pin 3
Factory Alarm Arm     lt. blue (driver door key cylinder)     -     driver door key cylinder switch, white 10 pin plug, pin 9
Factory Alarm Disarm     blue (driver door key cylinder)     -     driver door key cylinder switch, white 10 pin plug, pin 8
manswers 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Search for this topic in the archives, I don't know the correct answer but it comes up quite regularly.
Thanks for the helping hand buddy, i am new around here, and i tried the search meathod, and hit upon an truck load of information for various cars. Was having a hard time understanding which information was right for me for the MDX and 5704, hence posted this on the forum. I;ll try to look again, if you see something very relevant, and can share here, i will be happy. :)
manswers 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
shortcircuit161 wrote:
The lock wire has to be connected directly in the driver's door. The Comfort Closure feature must be enabled on the Viper system. The MDX expects to see an extended lock signal in order for the windows to close and the same with the unlock wire.
Another option is to connect 2 Aux Output wires, one to the lock and one to the unlock wires in the door and let the idatalink module take care of the locks via data and use the Aux Outputs to control the comfort closure.
As for the sunroof, I don't think the comfort closure will work with that. You may have to get a window module for that to work.
If the installer doesn't know that, he shouldn't be touching your car. Honda/Acura has had comfort closure for years!!
Thanks for your replies, any hint and tip will help us here.
I think the installer was a very knowledgable guy and he did a very clean job in installing the remote starter on the MDX. However when asking around Chicago, i was not able to find even one installer who has added comfort closure to the viper. Atleast this guy had some knowledge since he said he has done on couple of older honda;s, but says the new mdx is little different. Even the DEI dealers were not ready to touch the comfort closure feature. :(
Now that the entire dashboard and the door panel is open, i dont have an option but to get help from knowledgable members from here and guide him.
However coming back to the topic..
The installer has hardwired two wires from the viper to the door, thats for sure, I have seen him using relays as well in between and sometimes directly wiring.. I am sure there is a gap and the meathod he must be trying must not be the right one, hence we are trying to understand whats wrong. Cos the windows and sunroof open or close with the viper but if they work the other feature such as locking and unlocking of the door does not work.. or vice versa..
Please help me find the a guide on this subject from the archive.. any thing will help for now.
manswers 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
flobee4 wrote:
I looked at the wire diagrams and although I haven't done a MDX personally this way, I have done it on other Honda's.
Ok, so the doorlocks are Positive and in the door. So he has to use relays to convert the negative door lock signal from the 5704 to Positive. On the Lock wire coming from the 5704 have him split the Negative signal with Diodes. One of the splits will continue on to trigger his relay and the relay Positive Output would connect to the door lock wire of the MDX. The other split will goto the MDX Arm wire. He will set the the Comfort Closure option on the 5704 to "Comfort Closure 1" That should roll up the windows upon lock automatically.
As for unlock, the unlock wire on the 5704 will go straight to his relay converting his unlock signal to a positive and his relay output will connect to the MDX's unlock wire
As for disarm and window roll down, He will run form the 5704 both the disarm wire and an AUX wire and connect both of them directly to the disarm wire on the MDX. The AUX channel he uses needs to be set for "Validity" if you want to control how far down the window goes. The longer you hold the AUX button the more it rolls down. Or, set the AUX to "Timed" and have him program how long it takes to roll down the window completely into the 5704. Then the windows will roll down fully with just a press of the AUX, no need to hold the button down.
Once wired, Window roll up would work automatically with lock. But for window roll down, you will need to unlock the doors first then hit your AUX button to control the windows.
The 4 wires in the MDX that you need to interface with are:
Power Lock     pink     +     driver door lock switch, green 5 pin plug, pin 4
Power Unlock     red     +     driver door lock switch, green 5 pin plug, pin 3
Factory Alarm Arm     lt. blue (driver door key cylinder)     -     driver door key cylinder switch, white 10 pin plug, pin 9
Factory Alarm Disarm     blue (driver door key cylinder)     -     driver door key cylinder switch, white 10 pin plug, pin 8
Flobee4, wow thanks so much mate, your reply will definately help us in a big way.. i am taking printouts of your replies and taking it to him.
Also, is this the comprehensive meathod, is anything missed out in your post above?
flobee4 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
Nothing is left out except the basics, which I'm assuming your installer knows how to wire a relay to convert a negative door lock to a Positive. I'm also assuming he know how to split an output using diodes. If he doesn't know the basics then.... I don't want to finish that sentence..
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
If you are using a Idatalink module you can still use the door lock inputs on the module. You may have to go to the settings on the website and turn off factory arm and factory disarm on the module.
After that you split the green(lock), blue (lock wire) with diodes and run them inside the door to the factory cylinder wires.
To open the windows you must also wire a aux wire off the alarm directly to the factory disarm wire in the door as well
flobee4 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
Nice Enice. On Honda's if I know I'm doing comfort closure, I don't spring for the cost of a idatalink CA module. I use a xpresskit PKH34 or a Idatalink TB or HA transponder only bypass. Since I'm running the wires into the door, I hardwire everything. It's good to know that works using a CA module as you described it above.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic