icon

viper 5704 led pulses while driving

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jofee 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I have an 04 pontiac grand prix gt2 with viper 5704 installed. I installed the alarm myself and it was my first install. When i disarm the car and also during driving, the blue led constantly flashes twice and also 3 times as if I requested shutdown diagnostics. I did have an issue were the car would not remote start due to the internal relay being bad.
The pink ignition wire on the remote start harness wasn't giving any voltage response with dmm during remote start, all others did. I was informed to use a 5 pin relay to make the vehicle start. I had to use the blue/white 200ma (-) wire for ignition ground on relay to get the car to remote start.
But now I have this led problem flashing all the time when I drive, especially inconvenient at night. Does anyone have a possible solution for this led issue?
All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
The ignition wire is what tells that light to go off(while driving) and resets it(the blinks), as-well... Some Tape over the LED, for now...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
jofee 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
Would this happen to be my only option as a fix because of the brain relay problem I had with the pink ignition wire and thus using an external relay to give the ignition wire the power it needs?
Also, as an alternative for theft deter, could i use an led scanner and hook it up to the GWA orange wire and a constant 12V source as a replacement for the led during armed mode? If so, will the led scanner I hook up follow the pulses of the viper alarm or scan independently?
Thanks again for your help.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
You could try re-connecting the pink ignition wire (while leaving the additional relay in) just in case the alarm can still use it as an input... realistically it probably won't work but its worth a shot.
As for the GWA, yes you can use the GWA as long as the scanner draws less than 250ma. Anything more than that and you will need a relay. And yes, it will scan independent of the flashing LED since the GWA is just a straight ground when the system is armed.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
jofee 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2012 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
If the scanner was hooked up without relay and draws more than 250ma would that cause the brain to malfunction? I believe I know how to hook up the relay for the scanner but could you tell me how to wire it for certainty. Thanks
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2012 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it could damage the unit. It's a pretty simple relay setup:
85 - 12v constant fused
86 - GWA
87 - 12v constant
30 - Scanner 12v input
Scanner ground to chassis ground
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
jofee 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2012 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
I ordered a scanner from ebay. I would post the link here but I'm not sure if it would be against forum rules. It doesn't detail the ma in the description. In this case, would it just be best to relay the scanner to be on the safe side or could it cause the scanner to blow with the relay setup if it draws less then 250ma?
jofee 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
excuse my lack of knowledge, but for the 85 connection, when you state 12v constant fused, what exactly does that mean? Do i make an inline fuse like what is found on some of the remote start wires of the 5704?
offroadzj 
Posted: October 18, 2012 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  
That is the best way yes. It just ensures that if a wire were to come loose and ground out, it would not cause damage (just pop the fuse). Also make sure you fuse the 87 as well (they can both run through the same fuse). a 10amp fuse should be plenty for an LED scanner... hell, 5 would probably even work fine.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
jofee 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2012 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic