icon

2008 dodge ram remote start resistors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gberland 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2012 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

gonna attempt an  2008 Dodge Ram  Pro Start  remote start  planning on using a  Fortin Bypass ,  looking at my schematics autostater,org gave me  it says i have to wire in a  resistor on the starter wire and another resistor on the  acessory wire   ,  i have done quiet a few remote starts  mostly on Fords but  not one of them have called for a  resistor , not sure if these schemeatics are correct    never really had to wire in resistors before  can anyone  tell me more about this  and if so  how do u go about installing these resistors

lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
Check this link for the basics and depending on the module You use will determine if you need to do the resistors. https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~114758#556188
gberland 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  

thanks man  well i did go over that  linked page u gave me   just weird cuz the  schemeatics i got from  Prostart are  indicating i need resistors on my starter and acessorie wire   how ever tho i notice the acessorie wire on your link is different compared to the acessorie wire they give me?  mabey ill just use your guys link and wire it up and  see if  the engine fires

lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  
How are they different? You have to understand how the MUX works, by grounding through the resistor(s). Its verifying a key turn of the cylinder through resistence. BCM reads the MUX wire resistence if it sees the stored set resistence for ACC it allows the action to occur with out triggering the security. If it see's the 180 ohms it enables the start. Basicly 1 wire multi function just like the Mopar door locks do. So the resistence on the MUX wire is controlled by the ignition switch position. So it sounds like they are telling you to add the resistors to act as the switch by getting the power from the ign. 1 and start 1 wires to the MUX wire. Which would work but it's equal to disabling the security of that function. Which means hot wiring the vehicle would be that much easier. Relay's are the best if you don't want to buy a module to do it for you. So the remote start has to enable the relays to send to the MUX Wire.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  
Or a slight variation on resistive locks, 1 wire MUX and the lock processor needs to see 8 volts, the unlock side 5 volts.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
The ignition MUX is resitence not voltage as it uses ground not voltage in circuit. Otherwise you would be draining voltage to groung all the while the ACC is on. Door locks are a pulse not constant like the Ign.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  

If you are using a Fortin module you won't need any of this. The module will create the resisted values for you for start, accessory and locks. All you will need resistors for is parking lights if you use negative.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
Lurch, sorry but you missed my point.
It doesn't matter whether in the individual circumstances it's a (+) or a (-) the resistor gives that line a voltage differential to recognise.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
never used a fortin bypass myself but most bypass modules these days for dodge will 100% operate the ignition you just have to give the bypass module the appropriate signals from whatever remote starter you have using a wired or data connection to the remote starter. i know that the brand i use most they also sell a plug and play harness for dodge that does the install for you leaving only the optional extras for you to do. you might need to try a firmware update on the bypass to get more up to date instructions on your car.
gberland 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
Yes FORTIN does have a. Data to data. Connection that goes from the bypass module an plugs rit into the Remote start module
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic