icon

2005 envoy ignition

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maxcat 
Copper - Posts: 211
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all ,Just got a call from a customer that I installed a compustar r/s into her 2005 gmc envoy about 2 years ago. first of all the battery seems to be almost dead as she gets the infamous clicking when trying to start the vehicle with the key. But now she says she cannot turn the key in the ignition all the way to the off position. Apparently a GM tech told her that this was probably caused by feedback on the ignition switch from the remote start module.

Just wondering if anyone has come accross this or if there is any validity to this theory. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
Yep, another knowitall GM tech. Seriously doubt it...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
maxcat 
Copper - Posts: 211
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the reply Mike. I too had my doubts but thought I would put it out there just in case. I guess I could always unplug/remove the r/s to see if the key can then be removed
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Being that the vehicle is 7 years old and probably on the original battery that can explain the condition of the battery.
In regards to the ignition not turning all the way to the off position, the shift lock solenoid actuator may be faulty. See the wiring diagram for circuit details.
Shift interlock circuit
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
I did an install a few weeks ago on a 04 Buick Regal (GM vehicle) who's battery also died. The client was doing other electrical work on his car as I was installing a remote starter and kept the dome lights on while he worked.
Long story short, as I was testing wires, I noticed voltage dropped under 11v and I attempted to start the car with the key and it wouldn't. I tried to shut off the ign switch and the key stayed stuck with the keysense "dinging" and couldn't pull the key out immediately.
I turned the key a few times and finally it released. I'm thinking it may rely on having enough battery power to allow the solenoid to release.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2012 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
X2 with Frank.
As for the GM mechanic, he's playing the "blame the alarm" game to reduce your credibility.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
X2 with Frank.
As for the GM mechanic, he's playing the "blame the alarm" game to reduce your credibility.
Similar issue on a Grand Prix with dead battery... X3
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
mustyk@att.net 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2012 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
In response to what 91stt said, I think he is on the right track with the shift interlock solenoid. I have replaced a few of them. Check for a hole in the lower steering coloumn cover. It will line up with an emergency release. Gently press a round punch or similer tool to release the key.
thetopinstaller
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 29, 2012 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
shortcircuit161 wrote:
I did an install a few weeks ago on a 04 Buick Regal (GM vehicle) who's battery also died. The client was doing other electrical work on his car as I was installing a remote starter and kept the dome lights on while he worked.
Long story short, as I was testing wires, I noticed voltage dropped under 11v and I attempted to start the car with the key and it wouldn't. I tried to shut off the ign switch and the key stayed stuck with the keysense "dinging" and couldn't pull the key out immediately.
I turned the key a few times and finally it released. I'm thinking it may rely on having enough battery power to allow the solenoid to release.
Same here!
I have a 2000 Cadillac Deville that I don't drive every day, and recently when I went to start it, the battery was dead.
I also was unable to remove the key until I hooked up jumper cables from another car.
P.S. Anytime a customer says that a mechanic or dealer says my installation caused something, I just ask them to get it in writing. The "technicians" who decide who's at fault without looking at the car, are usually not articulate enough to defend their diagnosis in writing even when they try.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
In the early 90s I was doing a carphone install + audio in a 190 Mercedes.
The heater failed and the local Mercedes dealer blamed my install with a nice bill.
I refused to pay and insisted on an independent audit.
The audit asked how my wiring, six inches from a Bowden cable could cause any damage.
Naturally I heard no more.
The point is car dealers don't know it all, if you sensibly challenge them (if you feel you're in the right), they will back down.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic