icon

upgrading, been out of the game too long

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2012 at 5:09 AM / IP Logged  
so I just put my old alpine 7893 into my plow truck (88 chevy reg. cab) along with a pair of el cheapo speakers in the rear pillars since it only came with fronts from the factory. wow, does it sound like crap!
I didn't expect much from some cheap (Legacy brand I believe..) 4x6's and the 25 yr. old factory 4x6's in the dash, but like I said...wow!
soooo I need to upgrade. I've been out of the game for a long time...just want to know who still makes a good efficient speaker that's reasonably priced..? Back about 10 years ago I had an ext. cab truck with all mb quart q series and a image dynamics id max 10" sub. I loved that system-extremely balanced and high sq. At the same time I had a buick regal with all boston acoustics mids and tweets and rockfords in the trunk..loved that too!
Here's the question are boston and mb still good speakers? I'm thinking of making (or buying) adapter plates to mount 4"rounds all the way around, or I saw these boston ba746 plate speakers http://www......com/item_2874_Boston-Acoustics-746.html are they any good? does anyone else make anything similar?
I'm not gonna spend a lot on the ol' truck, but I spend aLOT of time in it in the winter so I want it to sound good!
Thanks for any help!
p.s. might also be looking for a short throw (shallow mounting) sub and box to fit behind the seat..any (inexpensive) suggestions? thanks again!
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2012 at 5:23 AM / IP Logged  
I guess I should also say that I'm quite sure that the mb q-series are still great (if they still make them..) but no way am I spending that kind of change on the old beastie! what are some decent lower level mb's? still make precisions?
go ahead...shake your head at the old guy! :D
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2012 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
Try looking at the JBL GTO series great bank for the buck speaker.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
for that truck i would actually go with some polk audio 4x6 plate speakers. really nice sound for what they cost and they will play fine without an extra amp.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
polk is not all the used to be since the moved the manufacturing to save money. JBL has a lower line speaker thats supposed to be good if you head unit dosen'thave the power to drive the GTO's. Plus that head unit should be rated atleast 35w x 4 which should be plenty for some 4" or 4x6 5x8 if you can squeeze them in. It won't run a set of GTO 4-way 6x9's as they need a lot more power than that.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
in that truck you are limited to either a 4" or 4x6 or a 4x6 plate. never heard of a 5x8, did you mean 5x7? either way it wont fit in the front without a lot of cutting. polk may have moved their operations but their quality hasnt gone down that much if at all, MB quart has suffered a lot under maxxsonics. i know JBL is still very good stuff but i cant imagine that their cheap line will sound any better than anything else in the same price range. what i mean by that is that companies who make high end equipment usually wont make anything thats note worthy until you step up to at least their middle of the line equipment.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
There are both some companies don't do both but either will fit usually if surface mounted on the plastic. Otherwise you only have 4" or 4x6~plates

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic