the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2009 jetta can't get key to read

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2012 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
I'm installing a Compustar CS600 with an ADS CA2 bypass on a friends' mom's 2009 VW Jetta and everything is working with the key in the ignition, but I can't seem to get it to read the key through the bypass. It's a wrap a key style but I can't seem to get it to read. I've tried every number of wraps from 5 to 12 on both the key and the ignition. I also tried using a 556u and it just starts and immediately shuts off unless I physically put the key fob directly next to the ignition barrel. I thought about doing the Euro method on the 556u but the wires seem to immediately go into a black box under the ignition with no chance in hell of tying into them between the immobilizer ring and that box.
Any ideas?
Another slight issue I have is that sometimes it will unlock all doors on the first press and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 presses to get all the doors to unlock. I think that might be because I programmed the bypass for priority unlock, but when it didn't work I turned priority unlocking off and double pulse unlock on with the r/s but not on the bypass. So I'm thinking that might be my issue there.
Thanks in advance guys!
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2012 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Try using a compustran(compustar's key in box version) it has a more sensitive ring.
As for the cs-600... Those remotes suck. There is a slight delay on the button response. Especially with priority unlock. Try leaving double pulse off and hit the unlock once and see if it just unlocks the driver's door. If it does i dont think you have to program that option
Eric
Audiomaxx
528 East Fordham Road
Bronx NY 10458
Compustar Top Gun Dealer Award 2012-2013
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2012 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
Do they make a Valet key for that car? No lock buttons etc?
BMW and VW both transponders are very weak in RF power.
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2012 at 5:46 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Do they make a Valet key for that car? No lock buttons etc?
BMW and VW both transponders are very weak in RF power.
He is looking into the valet key. I guess his parents bought some special package that should have come with a valet key but they are away and we are putting this is as a surprise so we can't exactly call them up asking where it is. So I was hoping to use the full key for now. You are spot on with the weakness... since the only key we have right now is his key, we pulled the little dowel pin and removed the metal portion from the rest of the remote key. I tried just turning the metal portion with the fob right next to the cylinder and it wouldn't read. I had to actually but the very tip of the plastic portion directly against the cylinder to get it to read correctly.
I also tried cutting the ring off the 556u and then connecting the wires from the ring to the relay setup and that didn't even work. I wish I could tell which wasn't reading... the key wrap or the ignition wrap... lol
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2012 at 5:55 AM / IP Logged  
Bitter experience Kenny. Placing the RF chip adjacent to the factory antenna just doesn't work with BMW and VAG group cars as for M/Benz, not RF but infra-red!
That was my point about the Valet key.
offroadzj 
Posted: November 08, 2012 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  
Any ideas on how to possibly get this working even if temporarily til I can get the valet key? Does keeping the remote together (this is the style where the 2 halves come apart... on with the key / chip, one with the remote)? I'll probably play around with it a little more tonight in hopes of finding a combination that works.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
offroadzj 
Posted: November 08, 2012 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
Any other tricks / tips before I dive back into this tonight???
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2012 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
Ive had that issue b4,,,i found the key in the box works best. I use the TATA and it works fine. I take and bare the transponder ring if its wire,,if you get a stick on version,,they work best.
offroadzj 
Posted: November 08, 2012 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
I'll give that a try. I had to head the plastic of the 556u to get the damn key to fit... but it went in. I'll try taking the sheathing off of the ring and see what happens. What makes it such a PITA is that after every 2 unsuccessful attempts I have to completely undo the key (either from the box or from the wires) and use it normal to start the car. I've seen far too many vehicles get locked out because of too many unsuccessful start attempts.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
offroadzj 
Posted: November 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
Well after some fighting I finally got it to work. At first I decided to just go ahead and give the full key a shot (instead of just the chipped half). I put it in the 556u and it worked first shot. Tested it 5 or 6 times then went ahead and put the whole car back together. And it didn't work. So I pulled it all back apart, adjusted the ring a bit and got it working again. Tested it about 12-15 times this time and everything was good. I put it all back together and once again it didn't work. It ended up coming down to a single bolt on the steering surround. If that bolt was out, it worked fine. But if I put the bolt in (without moving the actual plastic surround), it no longer worked. So finally I stripped all of the insulation off from the 556u ring and that seems to be working great. Even with the car together it has been working every time. Luckily it is a friend's car so I explained to him that I can't put my full confidence into it because of how touchy it was, but he was completely understanding.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic