icon

viper 5704 comm issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
I had a simular problem with a 5101 with a antenna and remote upgrade to LC3 two way and it would lock and unlock and remote start but no 2 way back of any kind. Unit bench tested fine with a different harness. So I moved the ground to a better location and now it works fine. Dei units are funny about having good grounds.
Try running a temp ground from the viper unit to the battery and see if it clears up.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2012 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
lurch228 wrote:
Try running a temp ground from the viper unit to the battery and see if it clears up.
he said he already tried running a ground straight to the battery.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2012 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
I must have missed that part.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
When remote started DMM the sources for voltage drop. Do you have more than one 12v constant at the switch if you do try seperating the H3 Red and RED / Black to seperate constant sources. To see if you are pulling to much power from the one circuit for the viper to function properly when remote started. It sure sounds like the brain is starving for power and the 2-way systems need good power to work properly. Try going to the battery with both the H1 power and ground, trying to eliminate one more possible cause. Other wise as a last resort you can try testing with a DMM all sources looking for any kind of feed back or bleed to ground.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
Did you ever verify if the Pit Stop feature works? I'm still not clear on when it loses communication and when it doesn't.
Does the two way remote communicate when the car is started and running with the key?
Does the two way remote work if the key is in the "ON" position but the motor isn't running?
If you lose communication any time the car is running I would disconnect EVERY wire but power and ground and retest. If you don't lose communication when the car is running with the key then I would disconnect every remote start related wiring (ignition, accessory, starter, etc) and retest.
Kevin Pierson
tylerwayne 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
allnpt0 wrote:
Are you using an aftermarket ignition system such as a MSD? If so remove it and just use the stock TFI distributor. Might be getting some RF interference with a MSD ignition.
HTH,
Pete
I am using an MSD 6AL. I will disable and try the other things people have said and report back.
Thanks guys.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
Keep us updated as I think we would all like to know the cause.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2012 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
i figured there might be some sort of high powered ignition system installed and the thought did cross my mind that it might be causing some interference but i dont know anything about them so i didnt say anything, hopefully that is the cause.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
If the MSD is causing the issue it will affect the communication any time the engine is running.
tylerwayne 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:
Did you ever verify if the Pit Stop feature works? I'm still not clear on when it loses communication and when it doesn't.
Does the two way remote communicate when the car is started and running with the key?
Does the two way remote work if the key is in the "ON" position but the motor isn't running?
If you lose communication any time the car is running I would disconnect EVERY wire but power and ground and retest. If you don't lose communication when the car is running with the key then I would disconnect every remote start related wiring (ignition, accessory, starter, etc) and retest.
I disconnected the MSD 6AL and am running the stock ignition. No change in behavior. disconnected ground and positive wires to MSD.
With the Key ON and engine OFF: I can click the lock/unlock and the remote does the quick flash of the transmit and disappears. This is the correct behavior. If I click remtoe start, the remote says remote start on, but engine does not crank.
Pit stop mode will not work. I start engine with key, click the RS button, but I get the XX on the remote.
I doe have the RED / black and Red wire soldered together, running to the battery. I will go through again wire by wire with my multimeter to verify all voltages during start up.
viper 5704 comm issue - Page 4 -- posted image.
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic