icon

remote start, carb engine, 70 monte carlo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
70mc 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1970 monte carlo with carburater i'm installing a trackpro alarm with remote start . I have install the alarm and remote start but the remote start  requires that I hook up the hand brake light and switch in order for the remote start  to crank the car. The manual says if the hand brake is released when pressing remote start button the engine will not start. My car doesn't have a hand brake. So the remote start wont work . I need help on what I can do since I dont have a foot brake. 
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

So you are saying your car has no emergency brake at all?

Connect the wire to a 2 pin switch and ground the other pin. This will simulate you putting the brake on....

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
70mc 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2012 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
This my first alarm and remote start install. Where can I get a 2 pin switch and I do have an emergency brake. So do i install the 2 pin switch to the emergency brake . I would really apprciate more info. Thanks in advance.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Is the car a manual or an automatic?
If a manual is there an e-brake warning light on the instrument panel?
If so wire to that. If auto just ground it.
Next problem will be to wire up an actuator to pump your throttle.
Good luck.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2012 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
yea you will never have a reliable remote start with any carburated engine. everytime you have a cold start after the car has been sitting for a while you will probably have a failed remote start because nothing is there to pump the gas.
about your original post, you keep going back and forth saying you dont have a hand brake or foot brake? which is it? you dont need to have a hand brake for remote start and the foot brake connection is only needed to shutdown the remote starter so you can drive off with the car.
if you are looking for the emergency brake/parking brake and you dont have one then you should probably just hook that wire up through a switch like some other people posted. this way you have control over whether to activate the remote start or not.
if this car is a manual transmission then no amount of brake will keep the car from moving forward if you try to start the car in gear. you need to make sure the car has a reliable neutral safety switch that you can use to stop the remote starter from starting if the car is left in gear.
70mc 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

the car is 1970  Monte Carlo 350 engine with 4bbl carb and 350 automatic transmission. the emergency brake is a mechanical brake it doesn't have a electrical switch hook to it . the alarm trackpro with remote start has a wire that hooks to foot brake light and switch. I have that installed already. the other wire is the hand brake light and switch. that's the one I need to hook up. but I don't have a hand brake in my car nor does the foot emergency brake have a electrical switch.

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2012 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
its fine,just hook it to a 2 pin toggle switch and leave it on. i guess the remote starter just wants to see a parking brake to start as a safety measure.
still your problems are just beginning if you have any expectation of having a reliable remote starter on anything with a carb.
70mc 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you guys
70mc 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2012 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 1970 monte Carlo 350 carb engine and automatic trans. I have install a trackpro alarm with remote start. I have the alarm module, alarm siren, alarm senor, alarm led and remote start  working fine. I don't have the starter disable circuit install yet. My car doesn't have power door locks. The problem i'm having is when I disarm the alarm and start the car. After about 25 seconds the alarm auto rearm turns back on. It comes on while I'm driving the car. The alarm doesn't not recognize that I'm driving the car. and remain off when I disarm it. The manual says when disarming the alarm press & release the disarm button the siren will chirp twice, the parking lights will flash3 times, the central door lock will unlock, and the alarm system will be disarm. if the user does not open any door to enter the vehicle within 25 seconds then system rearms. So what can do since I dont have power door  locks.?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2012 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
Program out the re-arm?
Never heard of this unit most of the "known" brands have this facility.
Have you connected the door triggers, i.e to what brings on your dome light?
When the wire marked "ignition 1" is connected to the ignition on your car it works both ways, that is it sends 12V+ to the ignition to enable starting the car, it should also "sense" 12V+ when engine is running normally and so disable the alarm part.
Where is this R/S made?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic