icon

2008 silverado remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kbirdjr 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
About a year ago i installed a Prestige APS997C on my father's 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. I used an Express kit DB-ALL to handle the data interface, door locks, hood open, brake and Tach input, etc. with an RFLCHGM loop for the security bypass. At the time he bought the truck (Used) he got a key that was not factory but it worked and the remote start worked fine. A few months ago he decided to go to a dealership and have a factory key made, he didn't like the way his worked in the ignition switch. They made the new key and it works fine but now his remote start will not work. The alarm and doorlocks still work but when we try to R/S it chirps the horn, the fuel pump comes on, and then nothing. The remote just flashes "Inhibit". I tried replacing the RFLCHGM loop with a new one with the same result. What else could have gone wrong? Do I need to reflash hte DB-ALL with the latest firmware? Any other ideas?
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
Inhibit sounds like one of the shutdown wires is active. Check the hood pin wire, brake wire and make sure no other inhibit wires are active. Also, if there is a toggle switch, make sure it's switched to the correct position to allow remote start.
It doesn't sound like an issue with the factory key.
Do all other functions work fine thru the Prestige remote?
kbirdjr 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
everything else works fine through the remote. The DB-All handles the doorlocks (working fine), the brake shut down wire, the hood pin, and the tach. If the truck is running it will go in to "Pit Stop" mode where you can allow the remote start to keep the truck running and take the key out. Not sure if that would work if the bypass needed to be reprogrammed.
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
Resetting the bypass is definitely worth a shot. With the flashlogic modules when a dealer scan tool is connected the flashlogic piece goes into scantool avoidance mode and can sometimes drop some of the functions. This is done to prevent an error message being displayed on the dealer scan tool resulting in possible un-necessary work being done (replacing a perfectly good BCM). The truck may be going into pit stop mode if the truck is designed to only read the RF key signal once during initial cranking (with the key). Just another perspective. Good luck on the repair. 2008 silverado remote start -- posted image.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
shortcircuit161 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
Actually come to think of it, I had a car back once because the DBALL lost programming after adding a new key on a Nissan Maxima (not the same car but similar issue). All i did was reprogram the DB-ALL and it was up and running fine again.
shortcircuit161 
Posted: December 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
In stereo! That's awesome. 2008 silverado remote start -- posted image.
kbirdjr 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2012 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys. I will try reprogramming it this weekend and post back with results either way.
kbirdjr 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
I tried to reflag the bypass this weekend but my computer wouldn't recognize the xmloader2 and I couldn't figure out how to install the VIP software on another comp. I am giving up at this point and just taking to a shop and paying them to fix it.
kbirdjr 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Update; I haven't yet taken the truck to the shop, I got the express VIP program loaded and was able to reflash the DB-ALL but it made no difference. I did notice that the instructions for the RFLCHGM enclosed in the package seem to have an error. The first page gives directions for a Chrysler install with GM on the second page. For the GM it says to hold the transponder close to the switch and power up the ignition with a jumper wire. At the end it says "programing for CHRYSLER is now complete". The instructions I found online describe a completely different process. They say to make all connections, turn the ignition on for 1-2 seconds, turn off, remove key and within 5 seconds remote start. Can someone verify which is the correct process.
kbirdjr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
i am still fighting with this thing. i just can't break down and take it to a shop, I want to fix it myself. As I said before, I have reflashed the DBALL but it still wont crank. I also tried updating the DBALL to a newer firmware version which showed a different wiring diagram. After all of this it still will not crank the engine. It powers up the accessory and ignition circuits but it just doesn't crank. The remote start diagnostic shows the reason for shutdown as no tach signal. I have programed the tach, so if it ever does start it should be fine. The "Pit Stop" mode works fine (truck running on key, activate RS, turn switch off, remove key, and truck continues to run) and I can kill it via RS. It acts as if it is not getting a crank signal but I have the same system on my '96 GMC no factory security) so i swapped the brains and it works fine in my truck and my brain acts the same in his. I think the DBALL is OK because it is still controlling the doorlocks, door triggers, hoodpin, and brake shutdown. Does anyone have any idea why it will not crank? Thanks for the help.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic