icon

fan question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
equalizir 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys,im almost done with my system.i was gonna add a relay to my remote turn on because i want to add a couple fans to my amp rack.could i just piggyback the power wires on the fans to the power connection on my amp?it seems like that would work but im not sure.thanks
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
What type of amp? What gauge power wire did you use to the amp? At first guess I'd say you would be opening yourself up to signal interference at the amp from the power wire if you set it up that way. I'd suggest using a distribution block instead (at least until we know more info)
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
equalizir 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
i got three amps.all zapco-studio 150,studio 100 and a competition 50 watt.also i have an audiocontrol 3sx crossover.if its gonna bring in extra noise i might as well just use the relay.i did piggyback the crossover to one of the amps.hope thats cool.thanks
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
I would not suggest piggy-backing anything off of an amp. Distro-blocks are made for the proper dispursion of current. An amps 12v input is designed to handle just that, input. I'm not familiar with Zapco amps, but I believe I've read some good things on this site about them before. I would invest in good 1 input 4 output distro block, and make sure your 12v positive feed is a minimum 4gauge, possibly 2gauge, to ensure you sending enough current to properly run everything . You should be able to piggy-back the fans and crossover from the same output channel of the distro block with no problems, but I would deffinately unpiggy-back the crossover from the amp if you can.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
equalizir 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
hey guys,ive decided to just use the relay for my amps and fans.i was looking at the diagram for the relay and theres a connection for a 12 volt constant wire.i was wondering if this can be connected to the headunit?if so what color is the wire?i have an '89 honda crx.thanks alot
equalizir 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
hey wvsquirrel,i have a distro block but its a 1 input to 3 output.could i add the fans and crossovers to the outputs im already using?i have the three ouputs going to amps.so i guess it would be like piggybacking off those outputs.thanks
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  

equalizir wrote:
hey guys,ive decided to just use the relay for my amps and fans.i was looking at the diagram for the relay and theres a connection for a 12 volt constant wire.i was wondering if this can be connected to the headunit?if so what color is the wire?i have an '89 honda crx.thanks alot

If you're only connecting to this wire to power a relay, yes, you can. The constant 12V+ lead is Blue/White. If you intend to power an amplifier from this wire, then no, don't use it. Go directly to the battery.

fan question -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
equalizir 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
just to clarify,isnt the remote wire blue and white also?or these are two separate wires?thanks
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
dont connect to the remote wire...ever...that is solely for powering your amps/crossovers/EQs/etc, and if you plan on hooking up more than 2 of these items you are better off to wire a relay for it...
if you want to steal 12V power from your deck, splice the yellow wire on the back of the deck, but its just better to run power directly from the battery...
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Yes equalizir, they are two different wires. The remote turn on lead from your head unit is Blue/White and the factory radio 12V+ constant lead in the vehicle is also Blue/White. The constant 12V+ lead from your radio is Yellow which should be connected to the Blue/White in the vehicle.
fan question -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic