viper 791xv remote programming problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cdifani 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
Guys:
I've got a Viper 791XV installed in a '73 DeTomaso Pantera. I need to program a second remote, and unfortunately that's not working for me. Going thru my manuals the second step is turning the ignition key to "Run", which is supposed to connect to the brain thru the remote start wiring harness. With my car being a manual tranny, and a lot of other features, I did not install the remote start function. Didn't even want the possibility of a "remote start" occurring.
So, my question is how to program a new remote, without the "remote start" wiring installed? I have a Bitwriter (version 2.9), and the learning option is unlocked.
In fact from all I can see, the "transmitter learn" option should work perfectly....
Is there a jumper I can install in the relay start plug? Or??
Or is there anything I can do with the Bitwriter in the learning remote function?
Anyway, any ideas will be gratefully appreciated!
Chris
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2012 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
What's happening when you try to program??
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
You need to connect the yellow wire from the ribbon harness to an ignition wire. Cut the plug on one side, the other end goes to the brain.
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2012 at 5:07 AM / IP Logged  
Turn ignition on, (yellow ribbon ignitionwire must be connected), a door must be op, en (green door wire must be connected or grounded for programming) , press valet switch twice n hold on second press, wait for a sibgle chirp from siren, then press the lock button on the remote, a long chirp from the siren indicates success.
cdifani 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot to say, but I've got the alarm system, including the window control (530), and a couple of other sensors, and "convenience" features installed and operating correctly.
As for what happens when I try to program, essentially nothing. This is on a project car. Been working on it for about 8 years now, and finally I'm getting close to being finished.
Originally, after the alarm install, everything worked perfectly. But between then (about 4 years ago), and now, I've misplaced the original remote.
So now I'm trying to configure a new remote, and having zip success. The "why" is the tricky part.
To reiterate, on the alarm installation, I did not install any of the remote engine start parts and pieces. Everything else was installed, and worked perfectly.
And one item I forgot to mention:
Currently my LED is blinking 2 times, then 30 second pause, 2 blinks, pause, etc.
I haven't been able to clear the blinking either.
I believe I need to clear the diagnostic blinks, and then get into the learn function for my new remote.
Taking your advice, I need to install the 7 wire plug (remote relay connector), and make sure I've got power to the "pink" wire. I'll try that today. I'll also confirm that I've got power to the yellow wire in the main wiring harness.
Thanks a lot for the help!
Chris
cdifani 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2012 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
And one more "item", I have finally located my original remote, so theoretically I don't need to get to the "Learn" function...
but, as in all good stories, this is not the end... My alarm LED is doing the "two blink" dance. 2 blinks, then nothing, then 2 blinks, and nothing.... and so forth.
I tried to activate the system with my original remote, but all that would occur would be the remote giving me two beeps, and nothing. Didn't matter what buttons, or combination of buttons I pushed, all I'd get was two beeps, and no actions from the alarm system.
Before this (4 years ago), I had the blinking parking lights, the horn chirps, the remote window control, and the remote trunk release. All with no issues, no problems.
Ah, one other possible issue. I've got the standby battery feature installed, and I'm not sure if it's charged up, or flat. I did have to replace the main automotive battery about a year ago (when I got back to work on the project after that 4 year hiatus).
So if anyone has any idea how to clear the two blinking light issue, I'll be very grateful. That seems to be my "issue du jour" for now.
Thanks,
Chris
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2012 at 5:07 AM / IP Logged  
Ok then.............the 791xv does not have a yelloq wire on the main harness, ignition is supploed via the yellow wire in the ribbon connector.
cdifani 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2012 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
On my 791XV, the primary wiring harness is the 12 pin connector. Of it's 12 pins; Pin 8 black, to the chassis ground. Pin 11 red, constant power input. The remainder of the connections are outputs, trigger inputs, and 3 "not used".
Looking thru my install manual, and my "as wired" schematic, there doesn't seem to be any power runing to the alarm system from a switched ignition source.
The remote start primary harness (7 connections) has a yellow wire "ignition input to alarm", while the other 6 pins are ground outputs.
What's odd is that when I initially wired the system, all the features worked perfectly. Remote window controls, remote trunk release, siren, blinking parking lights, chirps, door sensors, and all the rest.
But when I got back to work on the project (4 years later), I had to replace the main car battery, and about then is when I noticed the LED's blinking of "blink, blink, pause" "blink blink pause", and so on. Also I couldn't get any remote action going...
So, I'm wondering if one of my internal sensors is bad (the 2 blink signal could be telling me that the shock sensor is malfunctioning), or the emergency battery in the back-up power supply may be dead.
In the meantime, I'm going to unplug the shock sensor from the "brain", and see if that has any effect on my "blink-blink-pause" issue, and also check the backup battery... maybe unplug it too.
Or.....
One of those puzzling situations that I thoroughly detest... Much more fun figuring out why my 5th Gen Magnacharger is only giving me 12 pounds of boost instead of the calculated 15 pounds...
Thanks again,
Chris
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
It's all the same issue. Connect the thin yellow ignition wire from the ribbon to an ignition source, or connect the xcrs pink wire to an ignition wire and plug the ribbon in. This is getting kinda redundant now.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic