icon

new rs/alarm purchase recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wafordtech 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2013 at 3:11 AM / IP Logged  

I'm shopping for a new remote start security system for my 2002 Dodge Dakota with manual transmission. The key isn't chipped, and there has been some discussion whether I would need a bypass module or not. One installer said that I would need relays for the one-wire lock/unlock, and another said a bypass module is required even though there is no factory security system. I have it narrowed down to 3 models: Viper 5704 or 5902, Computar Pro with 1 mile range, and Excalibur AL-2050-EDPB. The Vipers and Compustar are runnuing $730-$830 installed, and the Excaliber is $600 installed.

My concern with the Excalibur is that I've heard it's on par with something like Bulldog, and not worth that much. Of course the installer swears it's the best thing out there. Also it uses an integrated shock sensor, where the Comp and Viper are external. Is there an advantage to one over the other?

They all seem to have the features I want, except I haven't checked to see if they are expandable. I would like to add a sensor at the rear of the canopy abouve the tailgate, and at some point maybe a keypad enty.

Are there any recommendations for one brand/model over the others, or thoughts on the pricing?

Thank you for your advice!

offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2013 at 4:04 AM / IP Logged  
I used to install all DEI products and have since completely changed over to Compustar. Their starters are much more reliable and a lot easier to upgrade the remotes. What color is the head of your key? If it is black then you do not need a bypass module but you will need the relays for the locks. That price seems quite a bit high. As a comparison, I would charge roughly $600 for the Compustar Pro 1 mile LCD with the remote start / alarm module and installation. If you are getting the DAS sensor, maybe another $50.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
wafordtech 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2013 at 4:46 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know what a DAS sensor is. Being a manual transmission seems to jack up the price $50-$100 for "programming", and one shop will only do install it with a $100 tilt sensor in case it lurches from being in gear. All but one shop involved are large chain stores. Really, there aren't many in Washington that I've found or would be comfortable trusting my truck with. Perfomance Auto Sound charges $775 for the the Comp, Aspen Sound wants $830 for the same thing, Car Toys wants about $800 for a Clifford, a local shop wants $730 for the Viper 5704 and Sound on Wheels wants $600 for the excaliber.The excalibur is looking better and better, but I do have to drive 4 hours round trip and wait for the install.
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2013 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
Here's something to consider.  Being that your truck is a manual transmission vehicle, in order to safely install a remote starter in it, there is  a shutodown sequence that must be performed everytime you exit the vehicle if you want to remote start it.   They call it reservation mode.  With compustar, all you have to do is engage the ebrake and it takes over the vehicle while you take your key out and exit the truck.  a second or 2 later it locks, then shuts down.   It's kind of a no brainer with compustar.  With the dei products the sequence goes, footbrake, engage e-brake, release footbrake, press remote start, the parking lights flash 5 times to let you know you are entering reservation mode, exit the vehicle, then lastly press lock.  For the dei stuff it's a little more involved. 
Advanced
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2013 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
The excalibur has an external shock sensor. The al2050 has 1 mile of range. The al2050 you can also upgrade if you would like to a color touch remote. Excalibur is way above bulldog. The excalibur units have a full lifetime warranty on everything including the remotes. What does that tell you? I always install excalibur units and never do i have a problem with them. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
wafordtech 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
I like the simplicity of the compustar over the viper for reservation mode. How is the excalibur's process? The 2050 I saw had a color remote. Oled I think even. Is that a reasonable price? I did find one locally for about $400 but that was using T taps instead of solder. Thanks for the vote for Excalibur!
lucasoil4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2013 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
Its the same as Vipers, after you do it you will do it weverytime in no time flat. I do it to my car everytime as second nature and I can remote start it anytime. The price is about right. How much for him to solder the connections?
lucasoil4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
Nice thing about excalibur is they do not bull doodie you when it comes to range. I have never ever seen a viper unit work in the city at the range they have listed.
voltswagon 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  

I have Bulldog Deluxe 500 2 way pager R/S no security just factory.

I would recommend 2way over 1way. 

Here's the longest I've ever tried

new rs/alarm purchase recommendations -- posted image.

Dont Drive and Text, but
Do Text Then Drive
jsolts 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
Just tossing my 2cents to the mix to confuse you further.
I have the 5902 installed in my 2011 sierra ext cab.
I am constantly impressed with the range I get with this system.
You can view the vehicles internal temperature, extend run time, and view any alarm triggers right on the screen.
Personally I like theses remotes a bit more than the Compustar lcd's but again that is just my opinion.
As mentioned above, the Compustar remotes are MUCH easier to program should you want replace or upgrade down the road.
You don't need the forward motion sensor as that is why they created reservation mode in the first place. So you don't leave the vehicle with it in gear.
All in all they are both great systems, my suggestion is play with both remotes a bit and see which one you like best. Because after all, that's the only part of the system you'll use.
Like I said, my 2 cents to confuse you more.
Good luck.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic