icon

remote start advice audi s4 dball ads

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ahkim123 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2013 at 3:20 AM / IP Logged  
Hello, I’ve read a lot of the posts here and have talked with Directed, Compustar, and Best Buy about a remote start for my 2010 Audi S4. My car has an Auto Tranny and has the advanced key which includes PTS. I’ve got a bunch of questions and am looking for advice. By the way, I’m not an installer so I might not have all the details correct.
1.     Probably the most important question: I like the DBALL because it offers remote start (RSR) via the Audi Keyfob. I’ll also add the Smartstart for longer range use. My concern is all the negative feedback about the DBALL. Assuming the install is correct, is there any reason to believe the system won’t work correctly 100% of the time? The Best Buy installer will hard wire it and not use D2D which sounds like is more reliable. What do you think? Should I avoid the DBALL and go with the ADS-AL-CA? I would lose the Audi Keyfob remote start feature but I prefer a system that works.
2.     Directed told me I need to use the 556UW but the Best Buy installer said the DBALL covers that so I don’t need the 556UW, who is correct? Do I need it?
3.     With the DBALL, I was told that I can use the Audi Keyfob, RF remote, or Smartstart App to unlock the car once after it has been remote started. Is the same true with the ADS-AL-CA with Compustar Remote? I’ve seen some youtube videos where people say you have to use the RF remote to unlock and that the Audi Keyfob doesn’t work. Can anyone confirm that I can use the Audi remote to unlock after the car has been remote started?
4.     I was told by another Audi owner that the door touch sensor to unlock the car is disabled once the remote start is active so you have to use the remote starter or Audi keyfob to unlock the door, is there a way to keep the door touch sensor active?
5.     If I go with the ADS-AL-CA, I’ll have both the Compustar Drone and Compustar RF remote. Does the drone app support “pitstop” or “stop and go” mode?
Thanks in advance! I’ll post a review once it’s all done.
ahkim123 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  

I setup my appointment with Best Buy for Wednesday so any input would be appreciated.

I'm really wondering if I'm making a big mistake by going with the DBALL.  Is it really that bad if installed well? 

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 4:21 AM / IP Logged  
AFAIK the DB-ALL doesn't cover the immobiliser, I've always had to add a 556U on European cars here in the UK.
The unit IS controlled by the factory key , but you will need the VALET key for whatever type of by-pass used.
Can't answer any other questions I'm afraid.
IMO Smartstart is a waste of time and money, costs you 15c every time you contact the car and frankly I'd rather see my R/S or have confirmation via the remote (2 way).
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
x2 with howie, you will have to give up a key for any installation of remote starter you choose.  one thing to check before you have it installed is the doorlocks.  you can easily start the vehicle as you always have, then try the keyless functions on the audi fob and the door sensor.  If they do not function when the vehicle is running then it will be the same way when it is remote started.  There is nothing that the installer disables during installation or the remote start or dball does to the vehicle, its how the vehicle was designed.  As far as reliability of the dball, on chrysler they are fantastic.  I have used them on a few volkswagens and they have been holding up.   I have not used one on an audi though. 
Advanced
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
x2 with Howie on the 556U.
The bypass (DEI or idatalink) only offers convenience features on that car (factory alarm control, locks, trunk release, door status, tach output, etc) but not immobilizer. You will need to relinquish a valet key regardless.
I've not had experience with a DBALL on an Audi but from other cars I've used them on in the past, I can't stand using the DB-ALL for anything. It's too inconsistent for me. It programs when it wants to and most times not at all. I use idatalink modules about 98% of the time and Fortin for everything else. Idatalink modules have never given me an issue programming to a vehicle. It works the first time, every time!!
In either case, as long as the DB-ALL programs properly to your car, it should work out fine.
Good Luck!!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
Should work on an Audi the same as a VW BUT they aren't in synch on their CAN and other data protocols,their change cycle is every three years, Skoda and Seat, then VW, then Audi by which time Skoda Octavia (aka Jetta, aka Seat Leon aka A3) will have new lines of code.
ahkim123 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies. I'm still on the fence as to which way I'll go. (DBALL vs ADS)
The guys at Best Buy are aware I need to give up a key but they seemed to think the DBALL covered that part. I'll talk to them one more time to let them know they need the 556UW.
Interesting comment about smartstart costing 15c per use. When you think of it that way, it does seem like a waste. It's probably even worse cost wise considering I'll use a remote more often than the startstart. However, I look at the $40/per year and that doesn't sound so bad.
dasbogie - I can confirm that my fob and sensor are disabled once the car is running. What's weird is that someone on the Audi forums reported their audi fob working even after remote starting. They did not use the DBALL but some other unit.
ahkim123 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
Just as a clicked Post on the last reply, I got an email from Drone Support so I'll post their answer here:
Does Drone Mobile on the iphone support “pitstop” or “stop and go” mode?
>Drone does support this option all you would have to do is initiate the remote start from the app when the vehicle is running.
Does the basic plan include web access so I can start my car from my browser?
>Web access is included with the basic plan and you would use the same login for the app as you would for the web.
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
Not to sound like im talking trash but if they do not know the basic knowledge that nearly 99% of German vehicles need a valet key then be very careful with the installation process with this store. BTW I would stick with Idatalink too. Using a BLADE AL(compustar setup) or a ADS AL CA will take care of the job.
Eric
Audiomaxx
528 East Fordham Road
Bronx NY 10458
Compustar Top Gun Dealer Award 2012-2013
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
Not to sound like im talking trash but if they do not know the basic knowledge that nearly 99% of German vehicles need a valet key then be very careful with the installation process with this store. BTW I would stick with Idatalink too. Using a BLADE AL(compustar setup) or a ADS AL CA will take care of the job.
Eric
Audiomaxx
528 East Fordham Road
Bronx NY 10458
Compustar Top Gun Dealer Award 2012-2013
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic