remote start advice audi s4 dball ads

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
metz35 
Copper - Posts: 458
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
Not to throw my 2 cents in. But.....
If you notice almost every thread in this forum is trouble with a viper....
I wouldn't let my worst enemy use a db-all
ADS is the way to go./ compustar
Not being a cheerleader by any means.
16 years experience.
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
Everytime I use Xpresskit Modules I can wire them up D2D or W2W it usually has an issue or doesnt work all the way. One thing will not work or the Thing wont program. I just dont use them anymore.
ahkim123 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input - sounds like I should stay away from the DBALL. It's too bad since I like the Audi Fob remote start feature. Also, their support group has been really helpful.
I'm going to go with the ADS AL-CA bypass. Do I need a 556UW with that as well? Also, can I use Viper products with the ADS AL-CA?
As for the Best Buy installers, I agree that it's not a good sign that they don't think I need a 556UW but they did know I need a valet key. The good thing about them is that they will fix it until it's right and their prices are hard to beat. I would say $200-300 cheaper than the next price I got.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Yes to your queries.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
Just a though but if you're only using a remote start rather than security-R/S, you may only need the valet key and a 556U.
Unless of course the you need to control factory alarm as well.
ahkim123 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Just a though but if you're only using a remote start rather than security-R/S, you may only need the valet key and a 556U.
Unless of course the you need to control factory alarm as well.
Interesting. So you're saying that I don't need a bypass module if all I am doing is the remote start? I have no plans to install an aftermarket security module. If I understood your comments correctly, why does it seem like many of the remote start installations I've seen use the ADS AL CA module? By using the bypass module, does it make the installers job easier or does it help with the performance of the system? Sorry for all the Noob questions but I appreciate everyone's help.
Andy
ahkim123 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
So I've been thinking about this and I'm starting to reconsider my trust in Best Buy. There's another shop that does a lot of remote starter work and specifically on Audis but it's a 2 hour drive. I 99% confident that they would get it right, but my main issue is if something goes wrong, I've got to drive 2 hours each way and spend the whole day. They also carry Compustar Pro series remotes. At least with Best Buy, it's 5 mins from my office.
As experts, what do you guys think? I'm willing deal with a little risk of the install not going right with Best Buy, but it's unlikely they can do major or permanent damage, right?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2013 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
If you are only installing an R/S, why would you need lock and unlock, door triggers etc,
Most of those functions on an A4 are hard wired at the factory lock/alarm module any way.
Quick definition. If the instructions say anything like go into doors, then use a module.
The company 2 hours away, speak to them, get a feel for their answers, are they talking from experience or off of a script.
Yes I saw the S/bowl best buy advert and thought, eff it, just like walking into PC World UK, even the uniforms are similar.
In regard to the derogatory comments about DB-ALL, I've installed 2 units, the first worked perfectly on R/S but some of the aux functions didn't enable,
the second was all over the place, both wired D2D, yet with the second I had to hard wire the hood switch and the parking brake, both Euro GM cars, an 08 and an 09 sharing the same electrics.
But then my first Fortin was DOA remote start advice audi s4 dball ads - Page 2 -- posted image. remote start advice audi s4 dball ads - Page 2 -- posted image.
ahkim123 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2013 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Howie.  It turns out the shop is only an hour away so it's not as bad as I thought. 

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2013 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged  

Another two cents...

Think I would trust the Compustar Pro dealer.  Their Compustar training and Audi experience along with the quality

of the Compustar product line and its' lifetime guarantee should provide best "bang for the buck".  As most installers
will tell you, a properly installed system will provide trouble free operation for the life of the vehicle.  Typically, the
only issues will be batteries for the remotes and mis-treated / abused remotes.

Soldering is fun!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic