icon

mcintosh car amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bospet40 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, got a question. In one part of my stereo install i'm using Dynaudio's 3 way 362 setup in my front doors.
Now I have a Mcintosh Mcc404 which is 100 watts X 4 rms 4 ohms, and the dynaudios can handle 200 watts rms.
So I have 2 options, one is to bridge that amp which would give me the 200 watts rms X 2 4 ohms or replace that amp with a Mcintosh mcc302
which is 150 watts rms 4 ohms Not bridged.
I really don't like bridging amps but being a Mcintosh I was wondering if any others bridged these amps?
Also I like matching rms to rms on the amps like in the rear of the car I have JBL GTI 660s which are 150 rms per side and I have another Mcc MCC302 running them
I only run in 4 ohms. This is an audiophile setup and should I give up 50 watts per channel not bridging??
What do you guys think.
Thanks
Don't know what the problem is yet... but I know what it's not.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2013 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
if you are trying to stay at a 4 ohm load across the board on all amps then you cant bridge that amp, it is the same as 2ohm stereo to the amp. id run the 300watt amp unbridged unless you absolutely need the 200W to each speaker and my opinion is that you wont miss the extra 50watts.
bospet40 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
S&S Thanks for the reply. So you're saying run the MCC302 150 rms per side 4 ohm load than to bridge the MCC404? I don't know if I'll need the 200 per side but if they can handle the power I'd like to match what they can handle.
According to Mcintosh ( Just spoke to Chuck over there after I posted this) Said bridging the MCC404 would only lower the distortion from 0.005% to 0.007% and you will still be in 4 ohms per side at 200 rms.
Now i'm not sure what to do. This is a brand new install i'm doing and want the best way for sound quality.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
I think Chuck should reconsider...
.007% is lower than .005% ?? (Not that either are significant).
But maybe his "still per side" means with one speaker per side - ie, 2x 4Ohms @ 200W = 1x 8 Ohms @ 400W (or so I hope!).
PS - post-edited to change .0007%.
bospet40 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry I meant bridging would increase the distortion from 0.005% to 0.007% And that would make the amp 200 watts into 2 channel stereo at 4 oms per side.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
honestly, if you dont intend on competing in a sound quality competition then the .002% difference in distortion is worth the extra 50 watts. most amps couldn't even hope for .007% so you will still have a very clean power supply to those speakers.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
do you mind telling me what the rest of your system will be? not that it really matters, im just curious to know what you plan on using for a head unit, sub woofer and possibly a processor? what kind of car is this stuff going into?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
I own that same amp (it's in one of my cars) and I say it's a real waste of a superb piece of SQ history to bridge it just because you think you want more power. Go ahead if you must, but a McIntosh is for SQ first and foremost and I say use it as a 4-channel amp. If you just want +3db then get a different amp. IMO, anyway.
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
I own that same amp (it's in one of my cars) and I say it's a real waste of a superb piece of SQ history to bridge it just because you think you want more power. Go ahead if you must, but a McIntosh is for SQ first and foremost and I say use it as a 4-channel amp. If you just want +3db then get a different amp. IMO, anyway.
it could be worse, at least he isnt using this amp on a set of pioneer 6x9'smcintosh car amp -- posted image.
bospet40 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
Dyohn,You say it's a waste to bridge but you don't explain why? That was my question in the first place.
I'm getting different feedback but no one is explaining why? Mcintosh told me you won't hear a difference because the distortion bridged is very low and that amp is made to be bridge for folks who want a more powerful 2 channel power amp without sacrificing sound quality( His words)
This was before I posted here.
I feel there would be a difference if this was a cheap amp but wasn't too sure that's why I wanted more of technical feedback.
I know all about sound quality it ( Been in high end gear for over 32 years) happens though Mcintosh doesn't make a 200 per channel X 2 amp.
Also you can never really have too much clean power especially when it's going in a convertible.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic